Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by "Weaver, Scott" <Sw...@rippe.com> on 2001/10/12 16:45:17 UTC

Turbine and DB2/400

Jacopo,

Turbine is definitely a worthy solution and the peers methodology is SO much
easier to grasp then EJB's.   I've been busy with projects other than
Turbine lately, but I was successful in getting the Turbine demo application
(newapp) to work flawlessly with DB2/400.  I was also able to get Torque to
generate the peers AND the DB2/400 tables with zero modification on the
AS400 save for actually creating the database collection on the AS400 before
running Torque.

Here is a run down of what I did to get Turbine/Peers/Torque to work for
DB2/400:

1. Create db2400 specific Torque stuff.
2. Create a Turbine DB adapter for DB2/400.
3. Had to modify the village api because it did some ResultMetaData checking
that did not work correctly for DB2/400 (isReadOnly always returns false).

If you would like, I can send you the result of my blood, sweat and tears ;)
in a zip if you want it.  It will put you ahead of the game in terms of
getting Turbine up and running with DB2/400.

To the Turbine Project leaders,

Would you consider this a worthy contribution to the Turbine project?  I am
newbie when it comes to using the CVS.  So far I've only used the CVS
(WinCVS as a client) to download source, never to upload.  So, if you
consider this DB2/400 stuff a worthy contrib, let me know.

Regards,
Scott Weaver
Rippe & Kingston System, Inc.
Email: sweaver@rippe.com

Posted by Matthew Inger <ma...@sedonacorp.com>.
here's some major differences:

1) Organization of the database

   Db2/UDB:
     DB2 Instance
        Database(s)
           Schema(s)
              Table(s)
              View(s), etc...

   AS400:
     Integrated Database
        Library(s)
           Table(s)
           View(s), etc....

2) The AS400 does not support the "set current schema" command.

   In db2, when you log in as user "x", the db assumes you're using
   the schema named "x" in the database you've logged into.  To set
   the schema to something other than the user name, issue the command
   "set current schema = schema_name" as if it were an sql update.

   On the as400, you don't log into a particular database, but rather
   the integrated database as a whole (you can think of the integrated
   database being one db2 database, and a library as being a schema).
   You use the "libraries" property to specify your library (if
   different than the user name):

	Properties p = new Properties();
	p.put("libraries", "libname"); // default library
        p.put("prompt", "false");      // see point 4
	p.put("user", ...);
	p.put("password", ...);

	Connection c = DriverManager.getConnection(url, p);

3) There are going to be some differences in the supported SQL
   features.  for example, one of them supports the "cross join"
   syntax for cross joins, the other does not (i forget which).
   But both support the syntax:
	select * from a,b
   as being a cross join.

4) The as400 will pop up a dialog box if you specify incorrect
   login information when you call getConnection.  To avoid this,
   you can set the "prompt" property to "false" in your driver
   properties (in example 2)

If you stick to what works in db2 however, you
should be able to migrate well to the as400.  Basically,
develop your adapter for DB2 first, and then extend it
to account for the differences.

On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 12:52, Martin Poeschl wrote:
> what are the differences between DB2 and DB2/400 implementations?
>
> send me a zip and i'll check your stuff and add it to cvs
>
> - martin
>
> "Weaver, Scott" wrote:
>
> > Jacopo,
> >
> > Turbine is definitely a worthy solution and the peers methodology is SO much
> > easier to grasp then EJB's.   I've been busy with projects other than
> > Turbine lately, but I was successful in getting the Turbine demo application
> > (newapp) to work flawlessly with DB2/400.  I was also able to get Torque to
> > generate the peers AND the DB2/400 tables with zero modification on the
> > AS400 save for actually creating the database collection on the AS400 before
> > running Torque.
> >
> > Here is a run down of what I did to get Turbine/Peers/Torque to work for
> > DB2/400:
> >
> > 1. Create db2400 specific Torque stuff.
> > 2. Create a Turbine DB adapter for DB2/400.
> > 3. Had to modify the village api because it did some ResultMetaData checking
> > that did not work correctly for DB2/400 (isReadOnly always returns false).
> >
> > If you would like, I can send you the result of my blood, sweat and tears ;)
> > in a zip if you want it.  It will put you ahead of the game in terms of
> > getting Turbine up and running with DB2/400.
> >
> > To the Turbine Project leaders,
> >
> > Would you consider this a worthy contribution to the Turbine project?  I am
> > newbie when it comes to using the CVS.  So far I've only used the CVS
> > (WinCVS as a client) to download source, never to upload.  So, if you
> > consider this DB2/400 stuff a worthy contrib, let me know.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Scott Weaver
> > Rippe & Kingston System, Inc.

Matt Inger (matt.inger@sedonacorp.com)
Sedona Corporation
455 S. Gulph Road, Suite 300
King of Prussia, PA 19406
(484) 679-2213
"Self-respect - the secure feeling that no one,
 as yet, is suspicious." -H.L. Mencken

Re: Turbine and DB2/400

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.

Re: Turbine and DB2/400

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
We already have a localization pull tool.  It is in turbine-3.

john mcnally

Re: Turbine and DB2/400

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.

Re: Turbine and DB2/400