Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Mark Hanson <mh...@pivotal.io> on 2020/01/14 23:44:03 UTC

Release Manager for 1.12 (February 3rd)

Hello All,

It is that time again. It is time to cut a new release branch for 1.12 on February 3rd.

We need a volunteer! No experience required. Committer status would be helpful, but not required.

In the mean time, we should focus on ensuring the CI is stable and start planning to cut the branch.
I would recommend our handy wiki as a great place to see what you are  in for should you choose to volunteer (please do)
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Releasing+Apache+Geode <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Releasing+Apache+Geode>

If we could have a volunteer by the end of the week, that would be amazing!

Thanks,
Mark

Re: [DISCUSS] include geode-benchmarks in 1.12 release

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
The language “sufficient for a user to build and test the release” suggest to me that "./gradlew test” should work (i.e. don’t release *just* src).  It would be a slippery slope to construe this guideline as a mandate to include any and all tools, scripts, etc that may ever have been used in conjunction with validating a release.

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@pivotal.io>.
+1 to include the performance benchmark code. It provides an
opportunity for community to use it and develop on it (a must needed when
Geode is termed as performant data product).

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
When voting on RC candidates, PMC members "are required to download the signed source code package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting executable on their own platform”.

If geode-benchmarks is included, that implies that an RC cannot be approved until reviewers can successfully run the benchmark suite from the geode-benchmarks source distribution.  Is that what we want?

Similarly, if CI is included, that seems to imply that an RC cannot be approved until reviewers can stand up their own pipeline from the geode/ci source distribution.  Is that what we want?

So far there doesn’t seem to be consensus on what to include in a Geode source release, but let’s keep in mind that anything we add to the release becomes an Act Of The Foundation and is held to a higher standard.  Apache makes a clear distinction between between development activity and official releases to the public.  Development activity is anything that should stay within the dev list.  Deploying CI pipelines and running Benchmarks seems like a prime example of things we’d be happy to help others in the community with on the dev list — but not something we would expect questions about on the user list.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for no changes

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Mark Hanson <mh...@pivotal.io>.
Just my two cents.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
I can see your argument that geode-benchmarks is strictly part of Geode CI for now, and CI is not “part of Geode” or generally useful to anyone outside the Geode CI community.  If so, I think it would also be a good idea to exclude geode/ci from Geode source releases.

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.