Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by xuhb <xu...@tongtech.com> on 2012/01/11 05:14:20 UTC

NullPointer Exception of JAXWS interface

Hi:
 if wsdl operation's input message is empty(zero part), but output message has multi part. then the generated JAXWS service will raise NullPointer Exception;
Such a wsdl is not practical , only for marginal testing;

version :     CXF-2.3.3;  I haven't try the latest CXF version;

Here is a example:

  <wsdl:message name="notifyRequest">
  </wsdl:message>
  <wsdl:message name="notifyReponse">
    <wsdl:part name="r0" element="ns:SimpleSymbol"/>
    <wsdl:part name="r1" element="ns:Symbol"/>
  </wsdl:message>

   <wsdl:operation name="notify">
      <wsdl:input message="axis2:notifyRequest">
    </wsdl:input>
      <wsdl:output message="axis2:notifyReponse">
    </wsdl:output>
   </wsdl:operation>

JAXWS Operation is :
public void notify(Holder<String> r0, Holder<SymbolType> r1) {
}

Analyse:
    Because when <soap:Body> has no child element, the DocLiteralInterceptor doesn't create a MessageContentsList ( because input is nothing)

    But HolderInInterceptor will always except the MessageContentsList exists; so nullPointer raised while accesing the MessageContentsList

Exception Stack Trace:

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at org.apache.cxf.jaxws.interceptors.HolderInInterceptor.handleMessage(HolderInInterceptor.java:78)
 at org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:255)
 at org.apache.cxf.transport.ChainInitiationObserver.onMessage(ChainInitiationObserver.java:113)
 at org.apache.cxf.transport.http_jetty.JettyHTTPDestination.serviceRequest(JettyHTTPDestination.java:322)
 at org.apache.cxf.transport.http_jetty.JettyHTTPDestination.doService(JettyHTTPDestination.java:291)
 at org.apache.cxf.transport.http_jetty.JettyHTTPHandler.handle(JettyHTTPHandler.java:72)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:936)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:873)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:247)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:116)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:581)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:1057)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:807)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:220)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:411)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:526)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:41)
 at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:528)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Re: NullPointer Exception of JAXWS interface

Posted by xuhb <xu...@tongtech.com>.
Issue raised with a simple test case
Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Friday, January 13, 2012 3:41:16 PM xuhb wrote:
> Hi, Dan:
>
> I've tried the lates version 2.5.1, the problem still exists.

Any chance you can create a small "hello world" type test case and submit a
JIRA?

> So maybe you patch hasn't been included in the lates version , could you
> tell me the issue which you fixed?

We made some changes down in the core for camel (since camel really wouldn't
be using JAX-WS for this).  Thus, it's likely that the JAX-WS/frontend layers
may also need some updates for this usecase as well.    A testcase would be a
big help.

Dan

> Thanks a lot

 nInterceptor.java:78)

> > at
> >
> >> org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseIntercepto
> >> rChai
 n.java:255) at
> >> org.apache.cxf.transport.ChainInitiationObserver.onMessage(ChainInitia
> >> tionO
 bserver.java:113) at
> >> org.apache.cxf.transport.http_jetty.JettyHTTPDestination.serviceReques
> >> t(Jet
 tyHTTPDestination.java:322) at
> >> org.apache.cxf.transport.http_jetty.JettyHTTPDestination.doService(Jet
> >> tyHTT
 PDestination.java:291) at
> >> org.apache.cxf.transport.http_jetty.JettyHTTPHandler.handle(JettyHTTPH
> >> andle
 r.java:72) at
> >> org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandle
> >> r.jav
 a:936) at
> >> org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler
> >> .java
>>
> >> :873) at
> >>
> >> org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.ja
> >> va:11
 7) at
> >> org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(Conte
> >> xtHan
 dlerCollection.java:247) at
> >> org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.
> >> java:
 116) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:346)>>
> >>  at
> >>
> >> org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.j
> >> ava:5
 81)

Posted by xuhb <xu...@tongtech.com>.
Hi, Dan: