Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Peter Petersson <pe...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/23 15:38:13 UTC

Problem building 2.1.2 samples

Hi

I checked out
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/samples/branches/2.1 and
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/tags/2.1.2/repository
After installing the G "private" artifacts i run mvn install in the
samples top level directory but got a maven validation error.
It seem like there are a missing dependencyManagement section somewhere
along the way originating from the repository pom (see below).

Am I missing something or are the samples in a flux at the moment ?

.../gsamples-2.1$ mvn install
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR

Project ID: org.apache.geronimo.samples:repository
POM Location: /usr/local/proj/gsamples-2.1/repository/pom.xml
Validation Messages:

    [0]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.apache.tomcat:catalina
    [1]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.apache.tomcat:jasper
    [2]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for com.sun.xml.ws:jaxws-tools
    [3]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for com.sun.xml.ws:jaxws-rt
    [4]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for org.apache.ant:ant-launcher

Reason: Failed to validate POM for project org.apache.geronimo.samples:repository at /usr/local/proj/gsamples-2.1/repository/pom.xml
   :
   :

regards
   peter petersson

Re: Problem building 2.1.2 samples

Posted by Peter Petersson <pe...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Joe! The problem was the use of maven v2.0.8.

I am a bit surprised that the maven-enforcer-plugin in the top level pom
did not picked this up as it is set to check for maven version 2.0.9 or
higher. It seems like I hit this problem before the enforce goal in the
validate phase has been executed ;(.

regards
   peter petersson

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Peter Petersson wrote:
> Joe Bohn wrote:
>>
>> Peter,
>>
>> The samples are a little in flux at the moment but they should build.
>> I just started with a fresh checkout and clean repo and they built for
>> me.
>>
>> What version of maven are you using?  It is strange that the versions
>> are not specified in /repository/pom.xml ... but I don't hit the same
>> errors (perhaps because there is only one version available for each
>> from the referenced repository).  BTW, you no longer need to pull the
>> repository from geronimo server 2.1.2 since the tag is referenced in
>> the /repository/pom.xml.
> Hmm I am using maven 2.0.8 that could be it I will upgrade and see what
> happens.

Yep, that's it. I just tried with 2.0.8 and encountered the same error
you referenced.  It's strange that you could even attempt building with
2.0.8.  We have a version check in there to ensure you are using 2.0.9
... however maven must do the validation after it validates pom
dependency versions ... strange.

> Yes that was what i thought the new repository pom was going to fix :)
> but reading the build instructions at
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/sample-applications.html  with the
> private repository checkout section I could not ignore it before posting.

Sorry, the doc had not yet been updated for the presence of the
repository pom in samples.  I just fixed it.

Posted by Peter Petersson <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Peter,