Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/12/13 16:20:59 UTC

[HttpCore] Nearing API freeze

Folks

I am aware only of two issues currently blocking 4.0-beta1:
* HTTPCORE-127, requested by Synapse (almost complete)
* Metrics for I/O reactors, requested by Synapse

If there are no other feature requests that may entail API changes, I
would like to the API freeze and BETA1 release to happen shortly before
the New Year's eve or in the first half of January 2008. So, this is the
last opportunity to request major changes in HttpComponents Core.

Is there anything that might require a delay? If not, I think it is
about time we begun maintaining backward compatibility for releases of
the HttpCore 4.x codeline.

Thoughts? Objections?

Evil Comrade Oleg

Re: [HttpCore] Nearing API freeze

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Asankha,

> BTW, I just realized that I haven't been getting any commit messages of
> HC all this time! :-(   ... I will subscribe for it right now.. is it
> cvs@hc.apache.org?

commits@hc.a.o

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpCore] Nearing API freeze

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi Roland
>> I commited the HTTPCORE-127 fix just now
>>

> Was this your first commit in HttpComponents? I haven't
> got a commit mail yet. If it was your first commit, the
> mail is probably still in moderation.

This probably could be, since I haven't committed anything for a while I
am not very sure.. could you release this from moderation please?

BTW, I just realized that I haven't been getting any commit messages of
HC all this time! :-(   ... I will subscribe for it right now.. is it
cvs@hc.apache.org?

thanks
asankha

Re: [HttpCore] Nearing API freeze

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Asankha,

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi Oleg
> I am aware only of two issues currently blocking 4.0-beta1:
> * HTTPCORE-127, requested by Synapse (almost complete)
> * Metrics for I/O reactors, requested by Synapse

I commited the HTTPCORE-127 fix just now and have been able to get
metrics out of HttpCore through the Synapse transport successfully. So
from the Synapse point of view, both these issues are now all set

thanks
asankha

Re: [HttpCore] Nearing API freeze

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 18:58 +0100, Ortwin Glück wrote:

> Sam Berlin wrote:
> > Will the API be open to changing in the future?  I doubt much changes
> > will be needed, but we're just beginning to work on using
> > httpcomponents / httpcore / httpnio from the client side of LimeWire
> > too (as opposed to just the server side, which is working excellent,
> > thanks!).
> >
> > Sam
>
> That's exactly my concern. People are just starting to use the API. I
> find it thus very early to freeze it. We have not had that much feedback
> so far.
>
> Odi

Odi,

I am afraid we are unlikely to get more feedback unless we manage to
expand our potential user base. There are enough people / companies who
just will not touch beta (let alone alpha) software. The question is: do
we anticipate any major rewrites or sweeping changes in the code base? If yes, we
should hold off the API freeze. If not, we stand a better change of
getting more people interested in HttpCore by giving them a stable API
and incrementally improving it while maintaining the backward
compatibility.

What do you think?

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Odi,

> That's exactly my concern. People are just starting to use the API. I
> find it thus very early to freeze it. We have not had that much feedback
> so far.

Synapse has been using it for a year or more. One of the arguments
for going beta is to raise interest by providing a stable API to
work with. We've made signifcant API modifications with every alpha.
I don't expect much more users until we can promise stability.

As Oleg has pointed out on a few occasions, API changes will be
possible in the beta phase. Compatible API changes are not a problem,
incompatible changes will require a deprecation cycle.
I'm not sure how we are going to handle SPI changes like adding
a method to an interface. That doesn't break applications using
the interface, but will break applications implementing it.
I guess it will be decided on a case-by-case basis, depending on
how likely it is that an application implements that interface.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpCore] Nearing API freeze

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/

Re: [HttpCore] Nearing API freeze

Posted by Sam Berlin <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks
>
> I am aware only of two issues currently blocking 4.0-beta1:
> * HTTPCORE-127, requested by Synapse (almost complete)
> * Metrics for I/O reactors, requested by Synapse

HTTPCORE-131, but that is a minor issue and will not delay
the API freeze.

> it is
> about time we begun maintaining backward compatibility for releases of
> the HttpCore 4.x codeline.

+1

cheers,
  Roland