Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2008/11/25 02:22:10 UTC

Having a spot to Park/Publish components

Hi,
I think it will be good to have a spot on Ofbiz site that acts as
catalog of application available for deployment on ofbiz. There are
various custom applications that people write that can be shared (they
will like to) with community. Sometime for people don't do it because
they can't figure out how and other times they wonder how community
will react to it (I am one of those). I understand that we cannot keep
adding custom stuff to ofbiz trunk. At the same time I have strong
feeling that Generic applications find less users because they are
hard to use.

Most of other open source CRM/ERP have a market place/ catalog where
people post their own little applications. I think we should do
something on those lines. This can be easily achieved by creating a
page on Confluence and have people list their app on it. In the
summary there can be a link to another page that has details of that
application and custom component can be attached to this page.

Regards
Anil Patel

Re: Having a spot to Park/Publish components

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
most other Apache have a contribution section.
ofbiz has the specialpurpose though it is not, up to this point been
something where anyone could put their projects.
The other thing is that the mailing list gets used on this additions
that only the person that contributed could answer.
What I have done is provided my own forum for my contributions so that
is where the people come to ask questions.
So maybe a link to contributors websites where they can list and support
their component(s)

Anil Patel sent the following on 11/24/2008 5:22 PM:

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
in that vain
http://addons.oscommerce.com/

Anil Patel sent the following on 11/24/2008 6:36 PM:

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by sandy <sa...@gmail.com>.
I am new to this mailing list and more of an user than a developer of
ofbiz at this time. Nevertheless this thread sounded very interesting
particularly more so as I have some familiarity with the Drupal
community which has benefited immensely from all the contributed
modules. In fact it is hard to find any Drupal site not using a  bunch
of contributed modules. Now the comparison may be fair as Drupal was
kind of designed with 'callbacks' in mind - will not debate whether it
is good or bad from an architecture standpoint, but the success clearly
points at the ability to not just have addons or extensions, but also
have ways to modify behavior of existing modules or even core Drupal
without code changes in them . This is immensely useful as most Drupal
developers would agree, for no longer one has to keep worrying about
keeping the core code in sync with the community and your own changes.
Besides of  course  the advantage of extending the functionality in many
ways that can be considered reusable for some situations.

In ofbiz parlance perhaps this would mean ability to override and add
fields to certain screens, include screen lets, override permissions and
roles etc, if one were to just look at plugins or addons to customize
the default behavior within reasonable limits. New functionality
extensions can be of flavor such as auctions, ecommerce enhancements for
example 360deg views of products, country specific VAT extensions and
many more.. Themes can be another set of contributed customizations.
Given the nature of ofbiz as a ERP framework, industry specific
contributions such as seed data, workflow etc may also make sense for some.

While all of these seem possible even today in some ways - like host the
code somewhere else (assuming many of these won't make sense to be
incorporated in the core apps), it is definitely going to be very useful
to have a integrated contribution setup within ofbiz site much like the
way Drupal has under Drupal projects.

My 2 cents..

Sandy

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this is a good idea!
-Bruno

2008/11/25 Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>

> We could put redirection links from OFBiz site main page to wiki pages
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Bruno Busco" <br...@gmail.com>
>
>  Anil,
>> I did something similar for Visual Themes here:
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Visual+Themes+Gallery
>>
>> of course a complete dedicated portal like
>> http://www.sugarexchange.com/would be much better but, to start, a
>> Confluence page should be enough.
>> If the OFBiz release management will be done it will be much simpler doing
>> the plug-in stuff.
>>
>> -Bruno

>>> The questions I try to ask myself are (1) how much of an audience is
>>> there
>>> for it, and (2) who will maintain the code after I've moved on to other

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Bruno Busco" <br...@gmail.com>

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Anil,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Mon, 11/24/08, Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:
> I think it will be good to have a spot on Ofbiz site that
> acts as catalog of application available for deployment on
> ofbiz. There are various custom applications that people
> write that can be shared (they will like to) with community.
> Sometime for people don't do it because they can't
> figure out how and other times they wonder how community
> will react to it (I am one of those). I understand that we
> cannot keep adding custom stuff to ofbiz trunk. At the same
> time I have strong feeling that Generic applications find
> less users because they are hard to use.

The questions I try to ask myself are (1) how much of an audience is there for it, and (2) who will maintain the code after I've moved on to other things. The specialpurpose folder contains some good examples of "custom applications" that have broad appeal and a segment of the developer community that is willing to maintain it.

If you have a custom application that is highly specialized, and there is the chance you will be the only one maintaining it, then it might be best to have it set up as a third party add-on.

-Adrian