Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@yahoo.com> on 2002/07/25 21:46:05 UTC

configuring commons-logging/simplelog within Struts

Hello,

I'm having difficulty getting my Struts app (within
Tomcat) to read the commons-logging.properties and
simplelog.properties file.  (I currently just want to
log to stderr, so the simplelog that comes with
commons-logging will do.)

(1) Where should the logging "properties" files be
placed--within the "lib" directory, or in the
"classes" directory?  If I need to manually state its
location, where do I do so within a Struts web app?

(2) Just to confirm, here are my simplelog parameters
I wish to set:

org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.defaultlog=debug
org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showdatetime=true

These parameters should go in the simplelog.properties
file, *not* the commons-logging.properties file--the
latter is just for identifying the underlying
implementation chosen (log4j, simplelog, j2se 1.4,
etc.)--correct?

Thanks,
Glen

RE: configuring commons-logging/simplelog within Struts

Posted by Peggy Davidson <ti...@mindspring.com>.
The commons-logging.properties file should be placed in the WEB-INF/classes
directory.  As far as manually stating its location I haven't tried this but
I understand that you can specify a custom logging properties file by using
system property on the command line similar to:

java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=mylogging.properties <class>

I can't answer to item 2 I am using the jdk14logger and then using the java
default logging.properties to turn on/off levels of debugging.  My
commons-properties file is what specifies my implementation.

Peggy

[...]

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>