Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Hongtao Gao <ha...@apache.org> on 2021/02/02 13:10:57 UTC

Updates about the SkyWalking APM Database

Hi, community:

As the previous thread mentioned[1], Sheng and I had a long time discussing
a dedicated database for storing skywalking hyper-modal data. The first
idea could be traced back to the time I joined SkyWalking, which still was
Sheng's personal project. The main architecture is discussed in my graduate
thesis in 2017, with the title of "The design and implement of tracing
database system". In that paper, I discussed a potential database
implementation to handling tracing data and design an abstract model to
save the data.

After that, several issues blocked me from pushing this work till I figured
them out about one month ago. Simultaneously, the debate of the ES's
license transferring caused Sheng and me to decide to kick the project off.

In recent weeks, I composed a list[2] to trace the main ideas and tech
stacks that could affect the final architecture. If you have any ideas,
feel free to comment on them.

From my perspective, we would verify some potential data modals before
starting the design. Based on that, I begin a study[2] to choose an idea
data modal from several candidates. In this study, I should set up some
stimulation workloads to test data models. These workload designs need your
help to make them as close to the real scenarios. If anyone has any ideas,
pls let me know.

In the next few weeks, I will be on the study. Once some results merge, the
community will get the updates.

 * 1. https://github.com/apache/skywalking/issues/6219#issue-787602819
 * 2.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qzzJ3caBtAFmFBBoB0VoETqWAUMP2jSR4UR3C3Jykos/edit?usp=sharing
 * 3.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bvvycAe1MlXKIJPdGUFBS8XDI7nPpIpI44RKwH_UkJc/edit?usp=sharing

--
Hongtao Gao

Apache SkyWalking && Apache ShardingSphere
Twitter, @hanahmily

Re: Updates about the SkyWalking APM Database

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Exciting! Finally, this has been sent out officially.
I am going to read and comment on the doc ASAP.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Hongtao Gao <ha...@apache.org> 于2021年2月2日周二 下午9:11写道: