Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/01 23:20:08 UTC

test for flags in HBase

Hello,

Is there any way to set/test for a bit flag in HBase? I looked over
BitComparator but that it only compares. It should be usefull when you
have a predefined set of flags. I know HBase is used for large data
and this would seem as an overkill, but storing a (meaningfull) column
name for each flag is a bigger waste considering that column names are
saved for each row.

I checked the docs and there doesn't seem to be such a feature, but is
there a plan/ way to implement it?

Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com/

Re: test for flags in HBase

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
2011/8/2 Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>:

> You could use an integer for the same purpose.

Yes, you are right. The issue was to apply server side filters and
easy modify flags. Filters can be done relatively easy (correct me if
I'm wrong), but all you have to do is just implement a proper
FilterBase.

I was thinking of a method similar to HTable.increment() that would
provide benefits in terms of performance (less data transfered).
But if I think about it more, there are no real benefits to it: the
RPC call will still transfer a byte/long value that contains the flag
so no save here.

Thanks, I think the tread can be closed.

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com/

Re: test for flags in HBase