Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2003/06/26 22:14:42 UTC

Re: Quick question about "svn switch"

Martin Ayotte <ma...@videotron.ca> writes:

> - If an repository URL is changed (or even better : it is moved on an other
> server), the clients only need to use "svn switch" to make their working
> copies switched to the new URL, right ?

Nope, 'svn switch' tells the server to compare two trees.  The two
trees need to be in the *same* repository.  There's no cross
repository-communication (yet).

> In my case, I've just change the path portion of the URL and is seems to
> fail ... Did I missed something ?

Yes.  'svn switch' requires that both URLs are accessible, so the
server can compare them.  By "both urls", I mean (1) the URL that your
working copy currently reflects, and (2) the URL you want to switch
to.

What you want is 'svn switch --relocate'.  That feature doesn't cause
any trees to be compared;  it just rewrites the URLs within your
working copy.

> Is the "switch" command only use for moving from branch to branch ?

At the moment, yes.  :-)

RE: Quick question about "svn switch"

Posted by Martin Ayotte <ma...@videotron.ca>.
"--relocate" ? ... it work (probably I used it wrong the first time I've
tried)

Thanks a lot, Ben !