Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ma...@bellsouth.net on 2003/10/19 14:36:27 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs 2.0

We are looking to upgrade some infrastructure, and are considering
migrating to Apache 2.X. Has anyone headed down this path? Do folks
consider 2.X (With mod_cgi, mod_auth_ldap, mod_ssl) to be as stable as
1.3.28? Anyone have any docs/literature that covers the pros/cons of
migrating to 2.X? I have read through the apache.org documentation, and
understand the technology and architecture of 2.X, but want to see
if there is anything else I should be looking at.

Thanks for any insight,
- Ryan

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs 2.0

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 mattyml@bellsouth.net wrote:

> We are looking to upgrade some infrastructure, and are considering
> migrating to Apache 2.X. Has anyone headed down this path? Do folks
> consider 2.X (With mod_cgi, mod_auth_ldap, mod_ssl) to be as stable as
> 1.3.28? Anyone have any docs/literature that covers the pros/cons of
> migrating to 2.X? I have read through the apache.org documentation, and
> understand the technology and architecture of 2.X, but want to see
> if there is anything else I should be looking at.

2.0 is stable.  2.0 will never be as stable as 1.3 for the same reason
that Windows XP will never be as stable as DOS.  2.0 is where the
development occurs.

I can't say anything about mod_auth_ldap, since I don't use it.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs 2.0

Posted by Mark Clarkstone <ma...@ntlworld.com>.
I think Apache 1 is much better because there is a lot more adavanages like
Its faster loading well on my comp its not to hard to configure & it serves
quite fast!

Well that my opinion

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs 2.0

Posted by DvDmanDT <dv...@telia.com>.
To me it seems Apache 2 is more compitable with SSL, but I have no idea why
I think so...

Getting Apache 1.3 to crash is about impossible (only made it 5 times
today)... Apache 2 isn't as stable as 1.3, but the question is if you can
manage to crash it anyway... I use PHP, and for that 1.3 is generally
recommended as the PHP team has some problem with the Apache2 module, but
you seem to use cgi anyway...

// DvDmanDT
MSN: dvdmandt@hotmail.com
Mail: dvdmandt@telia.com

ps. those crashes happend when I tried phpMyAdmin 2.3, memory_get_usage()
and bcompiler thingys... Using 1.3.28, PHP 4.3.4-Rc1, XP home...

Posted by Saqib Ali <sa...@seagate.com>.
Ryan,

I have quite a few servers running mod_ssl and mod_auth_ldap on Apache
2.0.

mod_ssl works just fine.
mod_ssl that comes with Apache 2.0 supports both (which I sure the newer
versions of mod_ssl for Apache1.x also support):
1) SSL Session using Hash Tables in Shared Memory; or
2) SSL Session using Cyclic Buffers in Share Memory.
Depending on your application you can choose which one to use.

As far as the LDAP authentication module is concerned, there are 2
available:
1) The experimental module that is available in the Apache 2 source code.
2) mod_auth_ldap module that is available from http://www.muquit.com

The first one which comes with Apache is definitely experimental. I can
get LDAP Session Caching to work on some servers, but on others. I use the
same compilation process each time. A few days back I enabled SSL Session
Caching, and that seemed to impair LDAP SSL Session. I dont know why. I
still have to dig into it.
Also LDAP over SSL (LDAPS://) seems to only work with OpenLDAP SLAPD using
TLS. I Cant get it to work with IPlanet.

The second module (from muquit.com) is very stable, and works very well
with LDAPS:// servers (iplanet and openldap). However this module does not
support LDAP Session Caching (as far as I know).

Now depending on your application, you might want to use one or the other
module.

Hopefully, this will help you.

Saqib Ali
---------