Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by David Arthur <da...@apache.org> on 2023/01/31 19:00:42 UTC

[VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Hey folks, we found a couple of blockers with RC1 and have fixed them in
the latest release candidate, RC2.

The major features of this release include:

* KIP-881: Rack-aware Partition Assignment for Kafka Consumers
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-881%3A+Rack-aware+Partition+Assignment+for+Kafka+Consumers>

* KIP-876: Time based cluster metadata snapshots
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-876%3A+Time+based+cluster+metadata+snapshots>

* KIP-787: MM2 manage Kafka resources with custom Admin implementation.
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=191335620>

* KIP-866 ZooKeeper to KRaft Migration
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-866+ZooKeeper+to+KRaft+Migration>
(Early
Access)

Release notes for the 3.4.0 release:

https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-3.4.0-rc2/RELEASE_NOTES.html

Please download, test and vote by Friday, February 3, 5pm PT

---

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:

https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):

https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-3.4.0-rc2/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:

https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-3.4.0-rc2/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 3.4 branch) is the 3.4.0 tag:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/3.4.0-rc2

* Documentation:

https://kafka.apache.org/34/documentation.html

* Protocol:

https://kafka.apache.org/34/protocol.html

---

Test results:

We haven't had a 100% passing build, but the latest system test run looks
pretty good:
http://confluent-kafka-system-test-results.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/3.4/2023-01-31--001.system-test-kafka-3.4--1675184554--confluentinc--3.4--ef3f5bd834/report.html

Here are the Jenkins test runs for 3.4:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.4/. We will continue
trying to diagnose the flaky test failures as the release continues. I do
not expect that any of these test failures are blockers for the release.

Thanks!

David Arthur

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

- verified checksums/signatures
- built from source
- ran quickstart with zookeeper and kraft with 2.13 binaries

Thanks for running this release

Mickael

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by Sophie Blee-Goldman <ab...@apache.org>.
Yes, thank you David for getting this across the finish line. And thanks to
everyone else who helped along the way!

Cheers,
Sophie

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thanks David and Sophie!

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thanks David and Sophie!

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by David Arthur <da...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by David Arthur <da...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.4.0 RC2

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@apache.org>.
I did the following:

   - Validated all checksums and signatures
   - Built from source and ran all the unit tests
   - Ran quickstart steps for ZK, KRaft, and Kafka Streams (with KRaft)
   - Spot checked the docs and Javadocs

Thanks for running the release!

+1(binding)

-Bill