Posted to dev@pagespeed.apache.org by Otto van der Schaaf <os...@apache.org> on 2018/01/12 21:36:08 UTC

[VOTE] Switch commit policy to Commit-Then-Review

Hi All,

I would like to change review policy for the incubator-pagespeed-*
repositories.
Please cast your +1/0/-1 vote on the following:

Currently I think this is not explicitly defined, but we wait for at least
one peer review
before merging code, akin to RTC.
It would be good to publicly document the way our project work with regard
to this for
new and potential contributors.
I think we have two distinct commit policies to choose from [1]:

As there's going to be lots of small changes,  to keep some velocity I am
proposing
to switch to Commit-Then-Review (at least temporary).

[1] From https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html

1. Commit-Then-Review
(Often abbreviated 'CTR' or 'C-T-R'.) A policy governing code changes which
permits developers to make changes at will, with the possibility of being
retroactively vetoed. C-T-R is an application of decision making through
lazy consensus. The C-T-R model is useful in rapid-prototyping
environments, but because of the lack of mandatory review it may permit
more bugs through in daily practice than the R-T-C alternative. Compare
R-T-C , and see the description of the voting process.

2. Review-Then-Commit
(Often referenced as 'RTC' or 'R-T-C'.) Commit policy which requires that
all changes receive consensus approval in order to be committed. Compare
C-T-R , and see the description of the voting process.

Otto

Re: [VOTE] Switch commit policy to Commit-Then-Review

Posted by "jmarantz@google.com" <jm...@google.com>.
+1

Posted by Ashish Kulkarni <as...@apache.org>.
+1 for CTR

Posted by Otto van der Schaaf <os...@we-amp.com>.
Thanks to all for participating in the vote.

The vote has now closed. The results are:

Binding Votes:

+1 [6]
 0 [0]
-1 [0]

The vote is successful -- the project is now in CTR-mode.
I'll document that in the wiki.

We probably want to discuss review policy again after we have merged
all the code changes for ASF policy compliance.

Otto

Posted by Kees Spoelstra <ks...@we-amp.com>.
+1

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.