Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Wang Ye <wa...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/21 15:58:43 UTC

Questiona about verifyCredentials

Hi, everyone!

I am currently configuring my IM server with Vysper. I did everything based on the documentation. And it worked fine for me. However I have a question about user authentication.

I implemented the interface UserAuthentication but in the method:

boolean verifyCredentials(String username, String passwordCleartext, Object credentials);

There is three parameters, the first two are easy to understand as we always type in username and password to login. But I can not get clear what the third one, credentials, a java object is used for. I logged it in my verifyCredentials implementation but it seems to be null (and always null) when I logged in with the Messages App in OS X. Since I am new to XMPP Protocol, I have no idea what the object credentials is. So can anyone explain this? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Ye Wang
wangyeee@gmail.com

Re: Questiona about verifyCredentials

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
On 21.07.12 15:58, Wang Ye wrote:
> Hi, everyone!
>
> I am currently configuring my IM server with Vysper. I did everything based on the documentation. And it worked fine for me. However I have a question about user authentication.
>
> I implemented the interface UserAuthentication but in the method:
>
> boolean verifyCredentials(String username, String passwordCleartext, Object credentials);
>
> There is three parameters, the first two are easy to understand as we always type in username and password to login. But I can not get clear what the third one, credentials, a java object is used for. I logged it in my verifyCredentials implementation but it seems to be null (and always null) when I logged in with the Messages App in OS X. Since I am new to XMPP Protocol, I have no idea what the object credentials is. So can anyone explain this? Thanks in advance.

XMPP supports different authentication methods, via SASL (there should
be plenty of resources on the internet regarding SASL, it is
standardized by the IETF). Some of these methods might differ from
simply requiring username/password. To support a wide range of SASL
methods, a third parameter was added.

Vysper currently implements SASL ANONYMOUS and SASL PLAIN, both not
requiring the third parameter.

   Bernd