Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com> on 2004/07/01 12:59:35 UTC

Re: Cocoon is not gump!

Ralph Goers wrote:

> Frankly, this is where maven would really help as all these jars would
> not be included with the Cocoon distribution but be coming from a
> central repository.  It would then be just as easy to put a jar of the
> source in the repository as the binary jar. This would make the
> problem just disappear.

Just wondering - who will put sources into the maven repository and who
will maintain it for 30 years?

Vadim

Re: Cocoon is not gump!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> Frankly, this is where maven would really help as all these jars would
>> not be included with the Cocoon distribution but be coming from a
>> central repository.  It would then be just as easy to put a jar of the
>> source in the repository as the binary jar. This would make the
>> problem just disappear.
>
> Just wondering - who will put sources into the maven repository and who
> will maintain it for 30 years?

Exactly.

Look, there is only one approach to digital preservation: make tons of
copies and put enough metadata and unique identifiers to know what you
have in your hands and what is the copy of what else.

Of course, it does not work after a world-wide nuclear holocaust or the
end of oil resources that creates permanent world-wide blackouts, but at
that point, I think maintaining you cocoon application will not be your
biggest concern anyway.

--
Stefano.

Re: Cocoon is not maven! (was Cocoon is not gump)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:

> I took a look at maven's mailing list. Their approach to this is to have a
> POM (Project Object Model) for each jar.  From this a maven goal could be
> used to get the source from the correct CVS directly into your own
> repository.  This would, in fact, solve the problem where it should be
> solved.  Unfortunately, I can't find any POMs that seem to have the
> information needed to actually make this work.
>
> Interestingly enough, www.ibiblio.org/maven/cocoon only has builds for
> 2.1.3 and 2.1.4 but not 2.1.5 and doesn't have POMs.  Anyone know who
> builds this stuff?
>
> As for what is in ibiblio or a Cocoon repository, it only has to contain
> stuff that is currently supported.  If I "formally" built something I will
> have a copy of the source in the global repository at my site.

I do agree with one thing, though: it is naive to expect that all
projects will care for proper long-term source availability of all the
artifacts they depend on.

Even if Cocoon does, this is something that we should address at the
foundation level, since it's a much bigger concern.

Hmmm.

--
Stefano.

Cocoon is not maven! (was Cocoon is not gump)

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I took a look at maven's mailing list. Their approach to this is to have a
POM (Project Object Model) for each jar.  From this a maven goal could be
used to get the source from the correct CVS directly into your own
repository.  This would, in fact, solve the problem where it should be
solved.  Unfortunately, I can't find any POMs that seem to have the
information needed to actually make this work.

Interestingly enough, www.ibiblio.org/maven/cocoon only has builds for
2.1.3 and 2.1.4 but not 2.1.5 and doesn't have POMs.  Anyone know who
builds this stuff?

As for what is in ibiblio or a Cocoon repository, it only has to contain
stuff that is currently supported.  If I "formally" built something I will
have a copy of the source in the global repository at my site.

Ralph

Re: Cocoon is not gump!

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Re: Cocoon is not gump!