Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au> on 2010/06/08 04:36:19 UTC

Undeclared general entity

in a previous post Thiago correctly explained the error 'Undeclared
general entity "nbsp"' resulting from a missing html xmlns declaration.

however I'm still having this problem when I declare an xhtml entity
within a page that uses a component to handle the layout, even if both
the layout component and the page tml's declare the xhtml xmlns.:

MyPage.tml:

xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_1_0.xsd">
    &nbsp;

BaseLayout.tml:

xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_1_0.xsd"
xmlns:p="tapestry:parameter">
    <t:body />

Also, another problem - if the &nbsp; is in BaseLayout.tml and not
MyPage.tml it renders without exception, however if I view source of the
rendered page, there is no &nbsp; instead the character it represents. I
would expect the browser to do this conversion, not the web application.

can someone fill me in?

Regards, p.

Re: Undeclared general entity

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.
> however I'm still having this problem when I declare an xhtml entity within
> a page that uses a component to handle the layout, even if both the layout
> component and the page tml's declare the xhtml xmlns.:

Each of your .tml files is a complete xml file. When tapestry parses
your MyPage.tml there is no nbps entity reference defined. This is
generally found in http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
of your DOCTYPE declaration.

> Also, another problem - if the &nbsp; is in BaseLayout.tml and not
> MyPage.tml it renders without exception, however if I view source of the
> rendered page, there is no &nbsp; instead the character it represents. I
> would expect the browser to do this conversion, not the web application.

Tapestry uses an xml parser to read your .tml files. It resolves the
entity references for the encoding used to render your page. Is there
a reason you want them to be rendered as entity references?

Josh

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au> wrote:
> in a previous post Thiago correctly explained the error 'Undeclared general
> entity "nbsp"' resulting from a missing html xmlns declaration.
>
> however I'm still having this problem when I declare an xhtml entity within
> a page that uses a component to handle the layout, even if both the layout
> component and the page tml's declare the xhtml xmlns.:
>
> MyPage.tml:

> xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_1_0.xsd">
>   &nbsp;
>
> BaseLayout.tml:

> xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_1_0.xsd"
> xmlns:p="tapestry:parameter">
>   <t:body />
>
> Also, another problem - if the &nbsp; is in BaseLayout.tml and not
> MyPage.tml it renders without exception, however if I view source of the
> rendered page, there is no &nbsp; instead the character it represents. I
> would expect the browser to do this conversion, not the web application.
>
> can someone fill me in?
>
> Regards, p.

http://www.bodylabgym.com - a private, by appointment only, one-on-one
health and fitness facility.