Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Rodríguez Miguélez, Adolfo" <ad...@mapfre.com> on 2003/07/15 08:53:15 UTC

James Console Contribution

Hi All,

here is a basic Console for managing James Mail Server from my own. It is
developed as GPL licence so you can feel free to use it any time. It is
developed as an standalone Java app written in SWT.

Current release is for a windows environments. Linux version will be shortly
added.

http://www.elfreelander.com/

Any feedback is welcome,

regards,

Toni.

RE: James Console Contribution

Posted by Steve Brewin <sb...@synsys.com>.
Samuel,

There is already work under way to put together a proposal to leverage
Avalon's lifecycle and JMX support to provide extensive dynamic
configuration and monitoring support for James and other Avalon
applications. (Well to the extent that I said I would do some research and
write it up. The latter I haven't done yet due to lack of time). There is
already web-based JMX support for Avalon that can be
leveraged -http://avalon.apache.org/phoenix/mx/index.html.

I don't believe that any of this diminishes the work that Rodríguez has
done. Better to be spoilt for choice on how to administer James than have no
choice at all.

-- Steve

RE: James Console Contribution

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
I agree with you. The rage now is to have everything web based, even where and when a client-server application or something else is better. But this would lead to an off-topic debate.

Vincenzo

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> In fact, why doesn't the James team think to add a web based
> administration site to handle the "heavy" xml file ?

Because JMX will provide it for free, and people have indicated that they
will contribute support for JMX.

	--- Noel

Re: James Console Contribution

Posted by Samuel Arnod-Prin <sa...@dxd2.com>.

Posted by Steve <st...@browsermedia.com>.
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but...

Why GPL? Why not Apache License, BSD, or even LGPL. Not to
start a advocate type thread, but GPL makes the tool useable by the
hobbyists - not professionals/businesses.

Just a suggestion.

Steve B.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> It looks interesting.  Would you mind releasing it under the ASF License?
> Releasing it under the GPL makes it impossible for the Apache
> James project
> to ever make use of your code.

Not strictly true, but it would have to be licenced to the ASF under ASFL if
it was to be bundled with James so the principle is the same.

d.

RE: James Console Contribution

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> here is a basic Console for managing James Mail Server from my own.

> Any feedback is welcome,

It looks really great.

Why did you choose Eclipse SWT over Swing?

My own recent experience, particularly with "Skin Look and Feel"
http://www.l2fprod.com/, suggests that Swing is a better all round performer
on all platforms than  Eclipse SWT and using Skin L&F to apply GTK1 skins to
java GUI goes a long way towards removing the creaky java look and feel. You
can re-skin the same app to look at home on classic mac, OSX, Win 2k, WinXP,
Linux GTK and of course custom themes coutesy of
http://themes.freshmeat.net/

Of course a mail admin isn't going to care much about the L&F of the admin
app, but a skinnable GUI restores the benefits of WORA and a single download
for all platforms.

Whatever you do don't let me put you off, well done :-)

d.