Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Romi <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/25 14:37:59 UTC

problem in setting field attribute in schema.xml

In my schema.xml file i made a filed attribute indexed=false and stored=true.
ie. i am not indexing this field but still in my search results i am getting
values for this field, why is so any idea?

-----
Romi

Re: problem in setting field attribute in schema.xml

Posted by Romi <ro...@gmail.com>.
Please reply, i am not getting any of my problems reply in this forum.

-----

Posted by Romi <ro...@gmail.com>.
even though i am running command for full-import, then also i deleted old
indexes , re created indexes, i am not using defaultSearchFiled and
copyingField attribute, still i am getting the search result for the field
which i set as indexed="true", really strange, please help me to get rid of
this problem. Thanks.

-----

Posted by Michael Lackhoff <mi...@lackhoff.de>.
Am 25.05.2011 15:47, schrieb Vignesh Raj:
> It's very strange. Even I tried the same now and am getting the same result.
> I have set both indexed=false and stored=false.
> But still if I search for a keyword using my default search, I get the
> results in these fields as well.
> But if I specify field:value, it shows 0 results.
>
> Can anyone explain?

I guess you copy the field to your default search field.

-Michael

RE: problem in setting field attribute in schema.xml

Posted by Vignesh Raj <vi...@greatminds.co.in>.
I tried deleting the index and trying it again. But still I get the same
result.

Regards
Vignesh

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Romi <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for making me understand the concept of indexing and storing field.
now i got the point :)

-----

Posted by Romi <ro...@gmail.com>.
:), Thanks.. now i got the purpose of indexed and store.

-----

Posted by Michael Lackhoff <mi...@lackhoff.de>.
Am 26.05.2011 14:10, schrieb Romi:
> did u mean when i set indexed="false" and store="true", solr does not index
> the field's value but store its value as it is???

I don't know if you are asking me since you do not quote anything but
yes of course this is exactly the purpose of "indexed" and "stored".

-Michael

Re: problem in setting field attribute in schema.xml

Posted by Chandan Tamrakar <ch...@nepasoft.com>.
Yes as i said earlier

. If you want to store the value of  field as it is in index without
Tokenizing  . .for example customer_id  which is a unique fields and you
don't want to tokenize

when you index a field you could tokenize the field values to index based on
what tokenizer you use so that users can search ..

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Romi <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> did u mean when i set indexed="false" and store="true", solr does not index
> the field's value but store its value as it is???
>
> -----
> Romi

Chandan Tamrakar
*
*

Re: problem in setting field attribute in schema.xml

Posted by bryan rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Romi <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> did u mean when i set indexed="false" and store="true", solr does not index
> the field's value but store its value as it is???
Yes. So you can get back the value of all stored fields even if your
search actually only finds results in indexed fields.

It does seem somewhat counter-intuitive.

Best Regards,
Bryan Rasmussen

RE: problem in setting field attribute in schema.xml

Posted by Alexander Golubowitsch <al...@antikoerper-online.de>.
Hi Romi,

as someone mentioned earlier already:

indexed -	The field value can be "matched" when you search on that
field (field:"some-value-to-match")
stored -	The field value can be "retrieved" from Solr in result sets
(result docs can include that field and its value)

@ Indexing in general: I think you will have to re-start Solr and/or
re-index (maybe even delete / re-import) all your data after certain changes
to your schema. Cannot formalize this any better, though, because I am an
beginner myself.

Posted by Chandan Tamrakar <ch...@nepasoft.com>.
I guess you are indexing with  property index=false ,  stored = true
if  it  is  , that means you are storing the value on "index"  , so whenever
you do *:*  you can see the stored value

for example

 if you have a field = ID, Customer_Name   and you would only like to index
"customer_name" because this is a field which users is going to search ..
then you can just store "ID" in index without indexing .

When  customer names matches your index you would also like to show "ID" to
users

I do not know what is the purpose on your case  . Store fields are usually
required when you don't want to index  but show on the search results.

I hope its clear  . You can try and experiment changing these values on a
unique fields too ..

thanks.

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Romi <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i have done it, i deleted old indexes and created new indexes but still
> able
> to search it through *:*, and no result when i search it as field:value.
> really surprising result. :-O
>
> -----
> Romi

Chandan Tamrakar
*
*

Re: problem in setting field attribute in schema.xml

Posted by Michael Lackhoff <mi...@lackhoff.de>.
Am 26.05.2011 12:52, schrieb Romi:
> i have done it, i deleted old indexes and created new indexes but still able
> to search it through *:*, and no result when i search it as field:value.
> really surprising result. :-O

I really don't understand your problem. Thist is not at all surprising
but the expected behaviour:
*:* just gives you every document in your index, no matter what of the
document is stored or indexed, it just gives _everything_ whereas
field:value does an actual search if there is an indexed value "value"
in field "field". So no surprise either that you didn't get a result
here if you didn't index "field".

-Michael

Re: problem in setting field attribute in schema.xml

Posted by bryan rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com>.
Well I'm probably being overly cautious here but its been my
experience that if I have a schema that says indexed = true on a field
and I change it to indexed = false I have to delete my index to get
rid of everything that was indexed with the old schema and I have to
restart to be able to index with the new schema.

I've had the situation a number of times where I have changed the
indexing rule for a field and not followed these steps and been
surprised when my index does not follow my expectations - and it seems
like you are experiencing the same thing.

Best Regards,
Bryan Rasmussen

Re: problem in setting field attribute in schema.xml

Posted by Romi <ro...@gmail.com>.
i deleted my index but what do u mean by restart with new schema??

-----

Posted by bryan rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com>.
>From my experience if it is indexing content that you have told it not
to index that is because you haven't cleared your old indexed content.
If you index something using schema version 5 which says indexed =
true and then you change it to indexed = false you have to delete your
old indexed content and reindex using the new schema, with lots of
stopping and restarting involved.

So - delete index, restart with new schema, index content with new schema.

Best Regards,
Bryan Rasmussen

Posted by bryan rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com>.
> ya...but when i set indexed="false" for a particular field, and i search as
> *:* then it will search all documents thats true, but what i think is it
> should not contain the field which i set as indexed="true".
> for example in a document fields are id, author,title. and i for author
> field i set indexed="false", then author should not be indexed and when i
> perform search  as *:* it should show all documents as
> <doc>
> <string name= "id"> id1</string>
> <string name="title">t1</string>
> <string name="author">a1</string>
> </doc>

Well, since I am only a beginner myself I have to say what my
experience is - given that I have cleared my index, restarted,
reindexed with new schema settings and do a restart (which is probably
overdone)
and if the schema I indexed with says indexed = false, stored=true for
author and I search for author:a1 then I will get 0 results as I
expect and if I search for id:id1 then it will show
 <doc>
 <string name= "id"> id1</string>
 <string name="title">t1</string>
 <string name="author">a1</string>
 </doc>
as  I expect - is this what is happening for you?

if it is happening and you are confused as to why I can't answer why
on a technical level as I assume it is based on design decisions which
I would agree don't seem sensible to me but is very probably based on
some underlying technical reason that I am not familiar with.

If you want to make sure that you do only see id and title in your
result then either set stored = false for author (although why would
you have a field that was both not stored and not indexed I don't
know) or use the fl parameter on your request to give the list of
fields you want returned - for example &fl=id,title in the querystring
for the request should mean you would just see
<string name= "id"> id1</string>
 <string name="title">t1</string>
and not

Posted by Romi <ro...@gmail.com>.
"indexed" controls whether you can find the document based on the content of
this field.
"stored" controls whether you will see the content of this field in the
result.

ya...but when i set indexed="false" for a particular field, and i search as
*:* then it will search all documents thats true, but what i think is it
should not contain the field which i set as indexed="true".
for example in a document fields are id, author,title. and i for author
field i set indexed="false", then author should not be indexed and when i
perform search  as *:* it should show all documents as
<doc>
<string name= "id"> id1</string>
<string name="title">t1</string>
<string name="author">a1</string>
</doc>

but if i search author:a1, then 0 result will be found, why so?? to be very
clear i am performing full-import where every time new indexes are created
then also for safer side i deleted the indexes and recreated them then too i
am facing the same problem.

-----

Posted by Yury Kats <yu...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by bryan rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com>.
surely it indexes the data if you do indexed = true.

if you put some data in the field that is unique to that document and
then search do you get it? If not then it is because it is not
indexed. If you do a search for another field in the same document but
still get the non-indexed field shown it is because the non-indexed
field is stored.

Best Regards,
Bryan Rasmussen

Posted by bryan rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com>.
if you never want to see a result for a field set stored = false.

Best Regards,
Bryan Rasmussen