Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Adrián Nieto Pérez <ad...@lcc.uma.es> on 2015/07/01 11:42:59 UTC

A proposal of a new Apache Brooklyn GUI

Hello to all:

I’m Adrian, currently a dev of SeaClouds Project in University of Málaga. As some kind of Apache Brooklyn Summer of Code me and maybe some of my colleges have planned to develop a new GUI for Brooklyn. The intention is to use AngularJS and Material Design Guidelines (https://github.com/angular/material <https://github.com/angular/material>) to improve Brooklyn UX.

I have two concerns before starting this project during August. One of them is if you are currently planning to develop a Dashboard (I found some commits on GH about a mobile version of the Brooklyn GUI). The other one is I would like to use a library to interact with Brooklyn API (for example https://github.com/signalfx/swagger-angular-client <https://github.com/signalfx/swagger-angular-client>), but I wasn’t able to find one compatible with swagger 1.0 (which is already deprecated). Do you have plans to upgrade swagger to V2?

Also I’m aware that you plan to develop a drag and drop editor, I will try to follow the conversation about this designer which should be part of the new dashboard. I think that if it’s developed as an standalone library which outputs YAML from a visual topology it will be enough to let me develop an Angular Directive over your code (we currently do this on SeaClouds Project with https://youtu.be/tyg-vkG2oho <https://youtu.be/tyg-vkG2oho> minute 1.30).

Anyway before starting to code a new dashboard the swagger thing is mandatory IMO. But i'm afraid that my knowledge about Brooklyn & Swagger will not be enough to try to upgrade it by my own. Also upgrading Swagger probably will break the current JSGUI so maybe the best way to work is update Brooklyn in a branch which will let me to work on the new GUI.

What do you think guys?

Thank you very much.

Re: A proposal of a new Apache Brooklyn GUI

Posted by Thomas Bouron <th...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Adrian.

As I said on IRC, +1 for Angular and Material Design. I'll post updates on
the drag & drop editor as soon as I have some.

Cheers.

--
Thomas

message after it was sent.

Re: A proposal of a new Apache Brooklyn GUI

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Adrian-

Excellent!

+1 to Angular and Material Design

Re the Swagger point, this is probably a few days' work to swap out the
1.0 + custom with 2.0.  And it's something I'd love to see happen.
"ron" in the IRC works on Swagger and has offered to help.

Best
Alex

On 01/07/2015 10:42, Adrián Nieto Pérez wrote:
> Hello to all:
>
> I’m Adrian, currently a dev of SeaClouds Project in University of
> Málaga. As some kind of Apache Brooklyn Summer of Code me and maybe
> some of my colleges have planned to develop a new GUI for Brooklyn.
> The intention is to use AngularJS and Material Design Guidelines
> (https://github.com/angular/material) to improve Brooklyn UX.
>
> I have two concerns before starting this project during August. One of
> them is if you are currently planning to develop a Dashboard (I found
> some commits on GH about a mobile version of the Brooklyn GUI). The
> other one is I would like to use a library to interact with Brooklyn
> API (for example https://github.com/signalfx/swagger-angular-client),
> but I wasn’t able to find one compatible with swagger 1.0 (which is
> already deprecated). Do you have plans to upgrade swagger to V2?
>
> Also I’m aware that you plan to develop a drag and drop editor, I will
> try to follow the conversation about this designer which should be
> part of the new dashboard. I think that if it’s developed as an
> standalone library which outputs YAML from a visual topology it will
> be enough to let me develop an Angular Directive over your code (we
> currently do this on SeaClouds Project with
> https://youtu.be/tyg-vkG2oho minute 1.30).
>
> Anyway before starting to code a new dashboard the swagger thing is
> mandatory IMO. But i'm afraid that my knowledge about Brooklyn &
> Swagger will not be enough to try to upgrade it by my own. Also
> upgrading Swagger probably will break the current JSGUI so maybe the
> best way to work is update Brooklyn in a branch which will let me to
> work on the new GUI.
>
> What do you think guys?
>
> Thank you very much.

message after it was sent.

Re: A proposal of a new Apache Brooklyn GUI

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Adrian,

it makes sense. Not really a js expert but I think with swagger we could
even consider the recommended approach [1]

HTH,
Andrea

[1]: https://github.com/swagger-api/swagger-codegen#where-is-javascript

message after it was sent.

Re: A proposal of a new Apache Brooklyn GUI

Posted by Adrián Nieto <ad...@lcc.uma.es>.
Hello Svet,

Posted by Svetoslav Neykov <sv...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Adrian,

As is evident from previous mails AngularJS implementation of the web console is very well received.
What I'd like to understand is why are you looking for an additional library to interact with the Brooklyn API. Is Angular's $resource missing some required functionality?

Svet.

> On 1.07.2015 г., at 12:42, Adrián Nieto Pérez <ad...@lcc.uma.es> wrote:
>
> Hello to all:
>
> I’m Adrian, currently a dev of SeaClouds Project in University of Málaga. As some kind of Apache Brooklyn Summer of Code me and maybe some of my colleges have planned to develop a new GUI for Brooklyn. The intention is to use AngularJS and Material Design Guidelines (https://github.com/angular/material <https://github.com/angular/material>) to improve Brooklyn UX.
>
> I have two concerns before starting this project during August. One of them is if you are currently planning to develop a Dashboard (I found some commits on GH about a mobile version of the Brooklyn GUI). The other one is I would like to use a library to interact with Brooklyn API (for example https://github.com/signalfx/swagger-angular-client <https://github.com/signalfx/swagger-angular-client>), but I wasn’t able to find one compatible with swagger 1.0 (which is already deprecated). Do you have plans to upgrade swagger to V2?
>
> Also I’m aware that you plan to develop a drag and drop editor, I will try to follow the conversation about this designer which should be part of the new dashboard. I think that if it’s developed as an standalone library which outputs YAML from a visual topology it will be enough to let me develop an Angular Directive over your code (we currently do this on SeaClouds Project with https://youtu.be/tyg-vkG2oho <https://youtu.be/tyg-vkG2oho> minute 1.30).
>
> Anyway before starting to code a new dashboard the swagger thing is mandatory IMO. But i'm afraid that my knowledge about Brooklyn & Swagger will not be enough to try to upgrade it by my own. Also upgrading Swagger probably will break the current JSGUI so maybe the best way to work is update Brooklyn in a branch which will let me to work on the new GUI.
>
> What do you think guys?
>
> Thank you very much.

message after it was sent.