Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Sheng Wu <wu...@apache.org> on 2021/01/23 09:16:10 UTC

[Resolved][License Issue] Tencent Cloud TSW service violates the Apache 2.0 License when using SkyWalking.

Hi

This is a License issue the PMC located and took actions to resolve.
Tencent, a China Cloud vendor, redistributed our codes without
LICENSE/NOTICE and correct statement.

Here is the whole event update,
https://skywalking.apache.org/blog/2021-01-23-tencent-cloud-violates-aplv2/

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Re: [Resolved][License Issue] Tencent Cloud TSW service violates the Apache 2.0 License when using SkyWalking.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
kezhenxu94@apache <ke...@apache.org> 于2021年1月26日周二 下午5:05写道:

> Hi Sheng, thanks for sharing.
>
> > 2. They are going to open source their agent reported, in order to fully
> > adopt the official agents(Java first),
>
> Out of curiosity, does “Java first” mean that they have other language
> agents as well that are not open sourced?

AFAIK, it seems so. But I don't have time to check more details.
You could see more from their website.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Posted by "kezhenxu94@apache" <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi Sheng, thanks for sharing.

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi Sheng,

Looks we made a great progress for community’s collaboration.
> 1. They propose to sponsor our SkyWalking Conference in 2021

Another wonderful meetup will come up, right?

> 2. They are going to open source their agent reported,

An important user will appear in user’s list  : )

   Juan Pan (Trista)

Senior DBA & PMC of Apache ShardingSphere
E-mail: panjuan@apache.org

On 01/26/2021 15:51,Sheng Wu<wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Juan and SkyWalking community

I just finished the call with the Tencent TSW team, they offer the
following possible supports for the open-source SkyWalking and its ecosystem
1. They propose to sponsor our SkyWalking Conference in 2021, which they
need to take more time to discuss internally. And back to the community.
2. They are going to open source their agent reported, in order to fully
adopt the official agents(Java first), rather than redistributing the agent
every time.

I will keep talking with them, to see what we can do to power the community.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org> 于2021年1月26日周二 上午10:58写道:

Oh, sounds interesting. Please forward to me if any progress. :-)

Juan Pan (Trista)

Senior DBA & PMC of Apache ShardingSphere
E-mail: panjuan@apache.org

On 01/25/2021 20:27,Sheng Wu<wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
They(Tencent TSW team and Tencent TVP program committee) are requesting an
online meeting with me to talk about SkyWalking, community collaboration,
maybe more.
Let's see what are they offering, if there is something interesting, I will
forward it to you.

No matter what they will offer, or what to get, the issue has been
resolved.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org> 于2021年1月25日周一 下午8:21写道:

Hi Sheng,

I suppose your explanation shed light on how we deal with similar cases.
Very appreciated!

Juan Pan (Trista)

Senior DBA & PMC of Apache ShardingSphere
E-mail: panjuan@apache.org

On 01/24/2021 22:21,Sheng Wu<wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Then, I will forward this to the ASF board and legal, if my personal and
PMC's personal connections are not working.
In the theory, they are also Apache sponsor, we should have enough
connections/channels to resolve this issue.
Also, media and law solutions are also on the table, but, I don't think we
need to go that far. :)

After all, APLv2 is super commercial-friendly, our requests are simple

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org> 于2021年1月24日周日 下午10:09写道:

Hi Sheng,

I looked at the blog. The license issue is always in our sights.
Give my best wishes to SW community.
But I still wonder if Tencent has no action about our report,
do we have any other ways to project our license?

Thanks,
Trista

Email:panjuan@apache.org
Juan Pan(Trista) Apache ShardingSphere

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
I think this is a good example, which effectively maintains the skywalking
brand, especially considering the relationship between public cloud and
open source software.

 The Apache 2.0 license is business-friendly, but at the same time, users
must also comply with the license.

Sheng Wu <wu...@apache.org>于2021年1月23日 周六下午5:16写道:

> Hi
>
> This is a License issue the PMC located and took actions to resolve.
> Tencent, a China Cloud vendor, redistributed our codes without
> LICENSE/NOTICE and correct statement.
>
> Here is the whole event update,
> https://skywalking.apache.org/blog/2021-01-23-tencent-cloud-violates-aplv2/
>
> Sheng Wu 吴晟