Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Vladimir Rodionov <vr...@carrieriq.com> on 2013/10/14 20:18:16 UTC

Scanner with explicit columns list is very slow

Its 0.94.6 and there is chance that the issue has been fixed already

Simple table: one column + one qualifier

Two type of scans:

1. Scan.addFamily(CF)

2. Scan.addColumn(CF, CQ)

Both run on block cache (all data in memory)

Tested on StoreScanner directly.

1. 4.2M KVs per sec per one thread
2. 1.5M KVs per second per one thread.

The difference? First scanner's ScanQueryMatcher returns INCLUDE, DONE, second - INCLUDE_NEXT_ROW, DONE
The cost of Row's reseek is huge.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or Notifications@carrieriq.com and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its attachments.

Re: Scanner with explicit columns list is very slow

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vl...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I load data into HRegion (with CACHE_ON_WRITE) than call flashcache()
(no data in memstore).

This is what I found: the default implementation of  ExplicitColumnMatcher
is (possibly) tuned to very large rows, I would say - very large. We need a
hint for scan which  tells StoreScanner which strategy to use :

1. ExplicitColumnMatcher with reseeks (what we have currently) for very
large rows
Or for small/medium rows
2. Remove explicit columns/families  from a Scan and replace them with
additional filter which actually keeps columnFamilyMap from scan and
verifies every KV  matches with this map.

I have created such a filter (ExplicitScanReplacementFilter) and verified
that it works much better than case 1. for small rows. For 1 CF + 5 CQs and
Scan with 2 CQs I have:

400K rows per sec with default
1.25M with ExplicitScanReplacementFilter

ExplicitScanReplacementFilter I will optimize even more and will probably
get tomorrow 1.4-1.5M rows per sec.
We need a JIRA and I will open one tomorrow.

-Vladimir

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vl...@gmail.com>.
One fast optimization:

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vl...@gmail.com>.