Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Benamin <be...@bisonline.com> on 2007/07/03 21:25:34 UTC

Why ServiceMix uses Maven?

I was just curious as to why ServiceMix is built with Maven?  What are
Maven's advantages over a more standard tool such as ant?

Also, I have deployed some ServiceMix Service assemblies and Service Units
and am wondering how easy it will be to convert these maven pom-based
projects into projects that use ant?

Re: Why ServiceMix uses Maven?

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 7/3/07, Benamin <be...@bisonline.com> wrote:

> I was just curious as to why ServiceMix is built with Maven?  What are
> Maven's advantages over a more standard tool such as ant?

Maven is an extremely powerful project management tool, not just a
build tool. Maven provides a tremendous amount of functionality that
Ant does not - dependency management, standardized directory
structure, standardized goals, etc., etc. There are just
waaaaaaaaaaaay too many reasons to list.

> Also, I have deployed some ServiceMix Service assemblies and Service Units
> and am wondering how easy it will be to convert these maven pom-based
> projects into projects that use ant?

You can tell Maven to generate a build.xml for use with Ant if you
like. See the maven-ant plugin here:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-ant-plugin/

Bruce
);'