Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by janI <ja...@apache.org> on 2013/10/26 17:28:56 UTC

idea for upcomming xalan-c micro release.

Hi.

I have now followed the dev@ for a period of time and are a bit confused,
whether the silence is due to lack of resources or lack of interest.

I got a set of scripts to build xalan-c and xerces.

I need to convert these into vc 2012 solutions and include the test suites.

Would it be acceptable to have the .sln and .vcproj files as part of the
project, making it easier for new developers (users) to start using xalan-c
?

I would like to expand the pure build and test with an example section
allowing new users (developers) to grab an example and rework it instead of
starting from scratch.

I currently mentor a project with the help of steven, where among others
the intention is to produce style sheets that can manipulate .sln and
.vcproj files. I would make this available as one example, and maybe the
community can provide other examples.

Is this a good idea, or is there no interest/need to let xalan-c grow
furhter ?

rgds
jan I.

Re: idea for upcomming xalan-c micro release.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 29 October 2013 20:00, Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> I can't speak for others but for me it's been a lack of time. The project
> definitely needs new developers/committers in order to grow and it's great
> to see that you're interested.

Yup, this list is very silent, I actually thought no mail had ended in a
black hole :-)

There does not seem to be a lot to do, but I small things are also
important, and especially in the "how to" and "examples" corner we could do
some work.

I actually also sent a doc. patch to xerces, but that list seems completely
dead.

> FYI: I'm mostly a Java developer. Hoping that Steven or someone else more
> familiar with Xalan-C can comment on the technical aspects of what you're
> proposing.

I work together with steven on another project, so I am sure we will
comment at some point.

I am mainly C++ developer, but have made a couple of java programs mostly
out of need :-)

Looking forward to do a bit more on this project, and at the same time use
it on AOO.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 31 October 2013 19:06, <sh...@e-z.net> wrote:

> Greetings Jan,
>
> Jan,  I am mostly a C/C++ developer.
>
> The absence of communication on dev@ indicates lack of committers.

At least you have now found one that are interested, and trying to work
into the project :-)

> The support of VS-2012 will be included in the coming patch
> release.  I just need the time to finish the webpage
> documentation and get release approval.  The build support
> for VS-2012 appears functional in the trunk for both
> Xalan-C and Xerces-C.  If building from the latest Xerces-C
> release sources, you may need to splice the (VC11) project
> path from the trunk into your source tree to affect a useful
> build.  I cannot comment on when the next release of Xerces-C
> or patch will be available.
>
> I was hoping that the a patch release of Xalan-C would already
> be available.  The critical updates from JIRA have already
> been committed to the trunk.

Can I do something to help ?

> I would like to see the UNIX builds of xalan-c reformed to
> use GNU autotools. This should make it easier to support the
> changes to UNIX environments.  The Xerces-C XML Parser has
> already made the move to GNU autotools for their 3.x series
> releases.

I get your priority, and I am quite used to the autotools, so I will give
that a go instead of vc 2012. Please do not misunderstand me, I just want
to help getting this project moving without hurting anyone. Among others
because I need it for 2 projects (one being capstone).

> As for the Microsoft Visual Studio builds, we have a separate
> directory of projects and version-specific (.sln) files to
> accommodate the builds.
>
> I expect that when work is done to incorporate new features
> (i.e. exslt functions), the Microsoft Visual Studio (.sln)
> and project files will be updated and forward-migrated.
>
> The xalan message library implemented with VS-2003 uses a
> makefile project to convert XLIFF information into a message
> DLL.  VS-2005 and newer use a Xerces-C compiled program to
> convert XLIFF information into a message DLL.
>
> The Visual C++ (VC6) is no longer supported, but is available
> for developers that still need to build and link with Xerces-C
> 2.7 and 2.8 libraries.  Xerces-C 3.X series no longer supports
> Visual C++ (VC6). -- last supported by Xerces-C 2.8.
>
> If new features are inserted into the (VC8) VS-2005 builds, the
> Microsoft automatic upgrades usually work OK, stripping out a
> few automated compatibility features that are automatically
> added during the VS platform upgrades.
>
> I would welcome your infrastructure expertise.

thx, as you know I have it in 2 flavors, not only do I know about
infrastructures, but I am also deeply involved in infra, so if the project
needs anything in that direction I would be pleased to help.

I simply want to be helpful and earn my merit.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by sh...@e-z.net.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.