Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by jude <fl...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/30 23:06:48 UTC

AS3 on the server

At one time there was talk about AS3 on the server. With node.js you can
use JS on the server. What happened to that project? Is it something can be
donated to Apache?

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 12/1/2013 5:06 AM, jude wrote:
> At one time there was talk about AS3 on the server. With node.js you can
> use JS on the server. What happened to that project? Is it something can be
> donated to Apache?

there was talk at one time for that being in coldfusion. don't think much came
of it.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Carlos Velasco <ca...@gmail.com>.
The Uriana J2EE and J2EE GWT ports are downloadable from
https://www.assembla.com/code/uriana/subversion/nodes/128/trunk the Uriana
repository.

I am currently working to embed GWT remote Objects architecture within the
framework architecture, which I hope that will take no much longer to be
accomplished.

I am also preparing some powerpoint documentation to get ready to work with
Uriana for GWT projects.

Cheers.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.
@Carlos

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Carlos Velasco <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by "Mr. Rich" <mr...@gmail.com>.

RE: AS3 on the server

Posted by David Coleman <da...@hotmail.com>.
For what it's worth, I've often shared the opinion that AS3 would be an ideal server language.  Strongly structured, native events which in my opinion is a world better than java.  In my mind the language itself is mature, and elegant and the only thing missing is a strong set of database access libs to work as a web service.

as far as how you would implement it as a platform, I always pictured that the ideal situation would be a worker based solution, using workers for db access and a mxml approach for html files, similar to how php can script a page, with the mxml components implemented similar to how CakePHP implements an "element".  we can use a flag like <?mx ..... ?>

ie:

index.mhtm:
  <?mx
      this.addHere(
        HeadElementFactory.getHeadFor(this)
     );
  ?>

sure this is a fast ugly incomplete example, but what i have defined more clear in my head is how we would do the server

inside an mhtm file we can directly call a server component like:

(Server.getService(FacebookService) as IFacebookService).getFriends(onFriendsResult);

we would then be able to pass the data to an mhtm element and using jQuery-ish selectors inject the data into the dom of the parent page, or better yet invent some kind of "anchor" class that we can use in the result handler to build html directly on the server, inserting content at a given tagged point of the dom. and build out the dom prior to serving the page to the browser.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
It was MAX 2008:

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Petr Svoboda <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Frank Wienberg <fr...@jangaroo.net>.
Hi Chris,

a few month ago, I tried out Nashorn to achieve a fast pure-Java RequireJS
build process. RequireJS' "optimizer" r.js is written in JavaScript and
runs in Node.js and Rhino. Unfortunately, in Rhino, it is about ten times
slower than in Node.js. So when I heard that Nashorn is to be much faster
than Rhino, I had quite high expectations towards Nashorn and tweaked r.js
to be Nashorn-compatible. Sorry to say that the result was quite
disappointing: it was about three times faster than Rhino, but this is
still about three times slower than Node.js / V8 (which is not the latest
and fastest JS engine either). Maybe it was because of the pre-release
version, which as far as I heard still missed many of the performance
optimizations? I should try again with a current version...

-Frank-

AW: AS3 on the server

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Frank Wienberg <fr...@jangaroo.net>.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 12/3/2013 2:54 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski wrote:
> like a CFM/CFC.  I thought it was a wicked feature, but it got ripped out
> pretty quick because most of the people on the betas were complaining about
> causing a split in the community and not knowing AS3....

i don't remember folks complaining about it much. i also don't recall the cf
team ever saying why they dumped it.

i'm always in favor of it, if for nothing else but to stop me from ripping out
any more of my hair over where arrays start cf vs AS3 ;-)

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 12/3/2013 4:11 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski wrote:
> The AS3 support they included pretty much exposed all the CFSCRIPT
> components as AS3 objects.  It was a new runtime that was on track to make
> CF fully support more than one language... Or at least that was how it was
> introduced...

yeah that's what i remember too.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Oh, man.

They introduced the FRG (Flash Remoting Gateway) in I think CF MX 6.1.  It
worked within ACF 7, but only when you had FDS/BlazeDS installed... and
then it was only AS2, and supported only like 3 CF tags.  It broke in CF8
(the connectors were never updated to work properly), and didn't even ship
with CF9 (you could download CF7 or CF8 and move the JARs around yourself
and rebuild the connectors from scratch).  It's the same runtime that was
included in FCS/AMS (but ran through the enterprise router, so it was
limited to 1 thread per license).  I'm surprised they kept it in the docs.

The AS3 support they included pretty much exposed all the CFSCRIPT
components as AS3 objects.  It was a new runtime that was on track to make
CF fully support more than one language... Or at least that was how it was
introduced...

-Nick

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by aYo ~ <ay...@binitie.com>.
Yes I do remember the cold fusion flash forms. Strange it's so long ago
almost another life

aYo
mrbinitie.blogspot.com

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hmm.  It is documented [1]

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: AS3 on the server

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/30/13 2:06 PM, "flexcapacitor@gmail.com" <fl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>At one time there was talk about AS3 on the server. With node.js you can
>use JS on the server. What happened to that project? Is it something can
>be
>donated to Apache?
Don't know.  I think there are a couple of efforts.  Here's one:
http://code.google.com/p/mod-actionscript/

-Alex