Posted to fortress@directory.apache.org by Jan Sindberg <js...@autorola.com> on 2016/03/08 13:39:22 UTC

SV: Copy from one LDAP to another : Sort an LDIF?

> > It's probably better to sort using the RDN length. Reading the LDIF,
> > keeping a track of the start and end position of each entry in the
> > LDIF file, is the way to go. It does not require a lot of memory.
> >
> yep, the current LdifReader has support for this
>

> > Otherwise, we have worked on a tool that process LDIFs and load them
> > after having sorted them with Kiran (BulkLoader) that is able to
> > process very big files). We have to see if it can be reused easily.
> >
> yeah, this sorter works well indeed
>

> Kiran Ayyagari
> http://keydap.com

Hi. Where should I look? Do you have some examples of LdifReader / BulkLoader? Is it part of Apache Directory API?

It sort of leads to the question of how to do backup and restore of ApacheDS. Maybe that is a better question?

// Jan

Re: Copy from one LDAP to another : Sort an LDIF?

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Jan Sindberg <js...@autorola.com> wrote:

> > > It's probably better to sort using the RDN length. Reading the LDIF,
> > > keeping a track of the start and end position of each entry in the
> > > LDIF file, is the way to go. It does not require a lot of memory.
> > >
> > yep, the current LdifReader has support for this
> >

> > > Otherwise, we have worked on a tool that process LDIFs and load them
> > > after having sorted them with Kiran (BulkLoader) that is able to
> > > process very big files). We have to see if it can be reused easily.
> > >
> > yeah, this sorter works well indeed
> >

> > Kiran Ayyagari
> > http://keydap.com
>
> Hi. Where should I look? Do you have some examples of LdifReader /
> BulkLoader? Is it part of Apache Directory API?
>
> LdifReader is part of API

> It sort of leads to the question of how to do backup and restore of
> ApacheDS. Maybe that is a better question?
>
> against a running server, exporting to LDIF (using sortcontrol with 'dn')
is the best option

> // Jan

Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com