Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Elliotte Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu> on 2005/10/14 13:37:22 UTC

Unnecessary casts in Commons-Math

I loaded Commons-Math into Eclipse, which promptly complained about
numerous unnecessary casts. For example, this cast to double in
LaguerreSolver.solve:

         Complex N = new Complex((double)n, 0.0);
         Complex N1 = new Complex((double)(n-1), 0.0);

If I submitted a patch to remove these unnecessary casts, would it be
likely to be accepted or rejected? Personally I find extra code like
this to be very ugly, but I know some programmers and projects like
these casts. If the commons-math policy is to use these, I'll set my
Eclipse project preferences to ignore this. If not I can patch it. What
do people prefer?

Re: Unnecessary casts in Commons-Math

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the late response on this.  I would be -0 to removing
"unnecessary" casts throughtout [math], as we had some issues early on
with type conversions and decided that it was best to err on the side
of making casts explicit in the code.

Phil

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.