Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter <pe...@zeus.net.au> on 2018/05/11 22:41:05 UTC

May Board Report

This board report is due, however it will need to be delayed until June,
I have been aware since last month that it needed to be done.

- Apache River provides a platform for dynamic discovery and lookup
  search of network services.  Services may be implemented in a number
  of languages, while clients are required to be jvm based (presently at
  least), to allow proxy jvm byte code to be provisioned dynamically.
## Issues:

No significant issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:

Interest in making Jini specifications programming language agnostic.

Release roadmap:

River 3.1 - Modular build restructure (&  binary release)
River 3.2 - Input validation 4 Serialization, delayed unmarshalling&
safe ServiceRegistrar  lookup service.River 3.3 - OSGi support

## Health report:

- Minimal activity at present on dev.
- Some recent commit activity, around modular build.

- Future Direction:

   * Target IOT space with support for OSGi and IPv6 (security fixes
     required prior to announcement)   * Input validation for java deserialization - prevents DOS and
     Gadget attacks.
   * IPv6 Multicast Service Discovery (River currently only supports
     IPv4 multicast discovery).
   * Delayed unmarshalling for Service Lookup and Discovery (includes
     SafeServiceRegistrar mentioned in release roadmap), so
     authentication can occur prior to downloading service proxy's,
     this addresses a long standing security issue with service lookup     while significantly improving performance under some use cases.
   * Security fixes for SSL endpoints, updated to TLS v1.2 with removal     of support for insecure cyphers.
   * Maven build to replace existing ant built that uses
     classdepandjar, a bytecode dependency analysis build tool.
   * Updating the Jini specifications.

## PMC changes:

- Currently 12 PMC members.
- Last PMC addition was Dan Rollo on Fri 1st December 2017

## Committer base changes:

- Currently 16 committers.

## Releases:

- River-3.0.0 was released on Wed Oct 05 2016

## Mailing list activity:

- Relatively quiet .

## JIRA activity:

- Activity around making Jini specifications programming language
  agnostic.- Some additional bug reports

Re: May Board Report

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
+1, but get it submitted as soon as possible.

Re: May Board Report

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@blazegraph.com>.
Peter, the report is Ok.

Re: May Board Report