Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lori Kilen <cu...@comcast.net> on 2024/02/01 15:35:06 UTC

Cannot start java issue after Tomcat9 and JDK 11 updates

Hello,

I have a Windows server (v2019) and I've updated java to Corretto jdk11.0.22_7 and Tomcat to 9.0.85.  I added Tomcat as a Windows Service.

I can start Tomcat from CMD using startup.bat and I can open localhost:8080 in a browser to display Tomcat page.  But I cannot start Tomcat from javaw.  I get the following entries in the log file:

 [info]  [ 8024] Apache Commons Daemon procrun (1.3.4.0 64-bit) started.
 [info]  [ 8024] Running Service 'Tomcat9'...
 [info]  [ 8748] Starting service...
 [error] [ 6892] FindClass org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap failed
 [error] [ 6892] The system cannot find the file specified.
 [error] [ 8748] Failed to start Java
 [error] [ 8748] ServiceStart returned 4.
 [info]  [ 8024] Run service finished.
 [info]  [ 8024] Apache Commons Daemon procrun finished.

My CLASSPATH="C:\Tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Tomcat\bin\tomcat-juli.jar"
bootstrap.jar is present in Tomcat\bin, and the folder permissions for Tomcat mirror what is specified on another, working, server (Tomcat 9.0.62 with jdk and jre 1.8.0_331)

I've searched the mail archives and online, and found similar questions, but those solutions have not resolved this issue.  At this point, I've removed all Java options in javaw.

Can anyone provide any guidance to resolve this issue?
Thank you.

-cuzi

Re: Cannot start java issue after Tomcat9 and JDK 11 updates

Posted by Lori Kilen <cu...@comcast.net>.
Chris,

I did not remove the previous service, but in the Tomcat properties manager, Java tab, all the paths were correct.

However, after reviewing your email, I deleted the tomcat9 service and then reinstalled it.  That did the trick!  I was able to start the service.

Thank you so much!
(Just a note: I did remove -Djava.endorsed.dirs before starting tomcat)

-cuzi

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Lori,