Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2011/06/14 11:59:13 UTC

GSoC project - XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 for Xalan - not discussed on the dev list?

Hi Xun Long Gui	,

It seems like you are the mentor for this GSoC project about Xalan:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/aguai/9003

I haven't seen this discussed on the Xalan dev list, are your
discussions about this happening on another Apache list?

The Xalan project is currently at risk of being moved to
attic.apache.org due to lack of active PMC members [1], so if
something's happening it would be good to bring the discussion where
it belongs, that is on the xalan-dev@xml.apache.org list, to foster
community involvement.

Thanks for clarifying,
-Bertrand

[1] http://s.apache.org/Bug

Re: GSoC project - XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 for Xalan - not discussed on the dev list?

Posted by Victor Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
I will try to review this project and find to solution to work together to
get a new Xalan release version ASAP

在 2011年6月16日 上午6:19,David Carver <d_...@yahoo.com>写道:

Posted by Steve Hathaway <sh...@e-z.net>.
Thanks Dave!

I remember seeing your postings some time back.
I'd like to review what you have done.
Some of my recent postings on Apache JIRA for the XML XALANC
project still need to be committed.

I'll be glad to get you the Doxygen configuration for the current
versions of Doxygen and GraphViz programs that generate (html)
interactive web pages from the program sources. This is the generated
API Progammer's Reference Manual. I update the API references on a
Debian Linux system. I see lots of areas where the structured comments
and C++ class/method descriptions do not match. This will be my next
significant effort for code cleanup.

I also have a standard XSLT stylesheet that converts the XALAN/XERCES
StyleBook XML documentation markup into usable xhtml web pages. It does
not use Java. The only change required in the XALAN StyleBook XML code
is to replace the "sbk:" prefix of a non-standard URI path in SYSTEM
notations. I have an earlier copy of the stylesheet posted on Apache
JIRA for review and comment. The new StyleBook XSLT stylesheet should
work with all standard XSLT processors that support top-level parameter
definitions into the XSLT context. I am preparing a StyleBook
documentation guide.

I also have some scripts for creating XALAN package directories on
Windows platforms which I use to distribute binary packages to
developers and other XALAN users. I also use these packages to update my
various Windows systems that do not have Microsoft Studio .NET installed.

There are several areas I would like to pursue regarding code base upgrade.

1. Implement XPath2 capability into XALAN. I currently maintain a
CurrentSVN snapshot of XALANC for Oregon State Police, and share the
maintenance efforts with Unisys and other vendors of public safety
information systems. Some public safety information systems vendors also
use the XALAN Java product. My concentration is on the XALAN-C/C++ platform.

2. Create a large-scale XSLT processing appliance that listens on a
network waiting for XML documents to transform. The processor will have
a significant library of precompiled stylesheets. This may require a
significant rework of dynamic memory management - something I did years
ago in the design of an architecture-independent Pascal compiler with
cross-compile capability on a large variety of architectures, similar to
the GNU gcc compilers of today.

3. Create quality technical product documentation for the XALAN
projects. I have many years of employment as a technical writer and
technical editor in the writing and production of maintenance and
service manuals.

I hope to complete the major XALANC 1.11 documentation rework by the end
of September 2011. There are some snapshots on Apache JIRA for
XML-XALANC that are ready for review and comment.

I'll be happy to look at your XALAN code fork at GitHub.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway

Posted by David Carver <d_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Xun Long Gui <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bert,

--
Best Regards

Gui Xun Long (桂训龙)

Re: GSoC project - XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 for Xalan - not discussed on the dev list?

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote on 07/06/2011 05:17:52
AM:

> Hi,
>
> 2011/6/29 Xun Long Gui <us...@gmail.com>:
> > ...I talked with Victor about how to merge his job with Xalan's
> code base, it
> > seems that Vict's project add XSLT 2.0 support for Xalan by merging
> > PsychoPath, not build a brand new version of Xalan base on its code
base. So
> > i think it is a little strange to release his project as a new Xalan
> > version. We are tend to release his project as a *independent* project
which
> > supplies  XSLT 2.0 features (We are not very clear how to describe its
> > relationship with Xalan)....
>
> I see your point, but if the Xalan community cannot see Victor's code
> as it evolves, it's impossible to give feedback which could help shape
> the project.
>
> This is open source, it cannot happen behind closed doors with code
> appearing at the end of the project only. The GSoC midterm evaluation
> is approaching, so I cannot imagine that Victor hasn't written any
> code yet.

... and to do the midterm evaluation you need something tangible to assess.
Very difficult to evaluate whether things are on track if no code has been
shared yet.

> So, where's that code hosted, and can we please have a look?

I am mentoring two students this year for Xerces and both have been posting
their works in progress for review in JIRA. Can that be done here (i.e.
Xalan JIRA) for this project?

> Thanks,
> -Bertrand

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: GSoC project - XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 for Xalan - not discussed on the dev list?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by David Carver <d_...@yahoo.com>.
If you want to collaborate on the PsychoPath/XSLT 2.0 project, I'm
willing to host the code on the Bilrost github site. This would at least
give it a place to reside publicly until it can be determined where it
will eventually reside.

https://github.com/organizations/bilrost

Please let me know if either of the GSoC people are interested.

Dave

Posted by Xun Long Gui <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

2011/6/27 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>

> Hi Victor,
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Victor Wang
> <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >... Yeah, I am working for merging PsychoPath with Xalan to get XSLT 2.0
> > features, but I have just started this job for more than one month and
> have
> > not finished a steady version yet, so i do not think it is a good idea to
> > merge my *experiment* code with Xalan code base currently...
>
> Of course, but if you have some code (and I assume you do, after a
> month's work) it's much better to expose it early so that others can
> comment on, in the spirit of "release early, release often".
>
> That's more of a topic for your mentor to handle, of course - I don't
> want to step on Xun Long Gui's toes here, but from my point of view of
> helping the Xalan community move forward I'd very much like this code,
> and its evolution, to be made visible to the Xalan community as you go
> along. It doesn't matter right now if the code is hosted elsewhere, as
> long as it lands in the Xalan project in the end and as long as the
> Xalan community can see it evolve as you work on it.
>
> > ...In GSoC schedule,
> > we will finish this job in August. Then, we can consider how to deal my
> job
> > and Xalan code base....
>
> I think that's too late, but that might be just me. Let's hear your
> mentor's opinion!
>
> -Bertrand

Best Regards

Gui Xun Long (桂训龙)

Re: GSoC project - XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 for Xalan - not discussed on the dev list?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Victor,

Posted by Victor Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bert,

Yeah, I am working for merging PsychoPath with Xalan to get XSLT 2.0
features, but I have just started this job for more than one month and have
not finished a steady version yet, so i do not think it is a good idea to
merge my *experiment* code with Xalan code base currently. In GSoC schedule,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Should we consider releasing a 2.7.2 or 2.8 just to warm up the development
and release process again?

Are there some simple changes we could put in (for example
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANJ-2423) for a new release?

Gary

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Victor,
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Victor Wang
> <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...Yeah, we are working for implement some XSLT 2.0 features for Xalan,
> as this
> > project is really a huge project, i need help from Xalan community, i am
> > looking forward to do something for Xalan community. thank you
>
> Do you have code for this already? IIRC Xun Long Gui said you're
> working on this at google code, if there's something already I'm
> interested in having a look to get a feel for the impact on the Xalan
> codebase. Or is what you're working on meant to be a new product,
> different from the current Xalan codebase?
>
> Thanks,
> -Bertrand

Thank you,
Gary

http://garygregory.wordpress.com/
http://garygregory.com/
http://people.apache.org/~ggregory/
http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: GSoC project - XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 for Xalan - not discussed on the dev list?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Victor,

Posted by Victor Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Dear Bertrand,