Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2013/11/01 13:27:26 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC2 as 2.0

Hello Mark,

again building with:

Apache Maven 3.1.1 (0728685237757ffbf44136acec0402957f723d9a; 2013-09-17
17:22:22+0200)
Maven home: /Applications/dev/maven/apache-maven-3.1.1
Java home:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_40.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
Default locale: de_DE, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.9", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"

- build works fine
- compared source archives with tag: content is the same
- signatures are ok
- Site looks good, the one FindBugs issue has been resolved but there is a
new one:

new org.apache.commons.pool2.proxy.JdkProxySource(ClassLoader, Class[]) may
expose internal representation by storing an externally mutable object into
JdkProxySource.interfaces

Again I cannot say if this a problem, because I'm not involved in the
development of pool. Maybe others can comment on this?

All my points from RC1 have been addressed, thanks for that.

+1

Benedikt

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC2 as 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 11/2/13 3:41 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 11/1/13 5:53 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 01/11/2013 12:27, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>>> Hello Mark,
>>>
>>> again building with:
>> Thanks again for the testing.
>>
>>> Apache Maven 3.1.1 (0728685237757ffbf44136acec0402957f723d9a; 2013-09-17
>>> 17:22:22+0200)
>>> Maven home: /Applications/dev/maven/apache-maven-3.1.1
>>> Java version: 1.7.0_40, vendor: Oracle Corporation
>>> Java home:
>>> /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_40.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
>>> Default locale: de_DE, platform encoding: UTF-8
>>> OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.9", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
>>>
>>> - build works fine
>>> - compared source archives with tag: content is the same
>>> - signatures are ok
>>> - Site looks good, the one FindBugs issue has been resolved but there is a
>>> new one:
>>>
>>> new org.apache.commons.pool2.proxy.JdkProxySource(ClassLoader, Class[]) may
>>> expose internal representation by storing an externally mutable object into
>>> JdkProxySource.interfaces
>>>
>>> Again I cannot say if this a problem, because I'm not involved in the
>>> development of pool. Maybe others can comment on this?
>> It is an issue and I have fixed it in trunk. It slipped through as it
>> only became an issue when I changed the visibility of the class.
>>
>> There were also some niggles with the site build that were fixed post tag.
>>
>>> All my points from RC1 have been addressed, thanks for that.
>> No problem. Thanks for the review. I've further improved the code
>> coverage of the tests since RC2 as well.
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Benedikt
>> I'm tempted to push to release RC2 as the issues are minor. However,
>> since they have all been fixed in trunk and the release process isn't
>> anywhere near as painful as I was expecting, I'll probably aim to do a
>> (hopefully final) RC3 later today.
> Sorry to be late reviewing this.  I have found a few other small things.
>
> 0) We forgot to specify required JDK level anywhere.  Fixed in
> trunk.  If you regenerate release notes, this will be fixed.
> 1) The Ant build is broken due to cglib dependency.  We should
> either dump the Ant build or fix it.  I don't have time to fix it
> right now, but will try to get to it this weekend if no one beats me
> to it.

Working on this now.  Should have it done in an hour or so.

> 2) I can't seem to find your signing key.  Is this a new one?  Have
> you put it in /dist/commons/KEYS
> 3) The class diagrams and a lot of other stuff in the site still
> needs updating.  Not a release showstopper; but might be best to
> just dump this stuff for now.  I will go after this after 1).

Will do this in a couple of hours.

Phil

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/11/2013 22:41, Phil Steitz wrote:

> 0) We forgot to specify required JDK level anywhere.  Fixed in
> trunk.  If you regenerate release notes, this will be fixed.

Will do. Thanks.

> 1) The Ant build is broken due to cglib dependency.  We should
> either dump the Ant build or fix it.  I don't have time to fix it
> right now, but will try to get to it this weekend if no one beats me
> to it.

It is only broken if you don't add cglib to the class path. We could go
down a Tomact-like route and add download targets and the like but I'm
happy with requiring that the class path needs to be set.

I'll add some documentation.

> 2) I can't seem to find your signing key.

Odd.

> Is this a new one?

No.

> Have you put it in /dist/commons/KEYS

I thought I had. Obviously not. I'll add it now.

> 3) The class diagrams and a lot of other stuff in the site still
> needs updating.  Not a release showstopper; but might be best to
> just dump this stuff for now.  I will go after this after 1).

That looks suspiciously like the output from Rational Rose (or whatever
it might be called these days). If we are going to include UML diagrams
they really should be generated with a tool we can access at zero cost.
I haven't gone looking for UML tools in a long time. Does anyone have
some suggestions?

I'll dump them for now.

> I am having some trouble with the Ubuntu vm that I use to test JDK
> 1.6.  I will try to get this running so I can test on 1.6.  All of
> my testing up to now has been on 1.7.  We should make sure
> everything builds and runs OK on 1.6.  Has anyone tested on 1.6?

Yes. Jörg has covered that very well.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC2 as 2.0

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 11/1/13 5:53 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 01/11/2013 12:27, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>>> Hello Mark,
>>>
>>> again building with:
>> Thanks again for the testing.
>>
>>> Apache Maven 3.1.1 (0728685237757ffbf44136acec0402957f723d9a; 2013-09-17
>>> 17:22:22+0200)
>>> Maven home: /Applications/dev/maven/apache-maven-3.1.1
>>> Java version: 1.7.0_40, vendor: Oracle Corporation
>>> Java home:
>>> /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_40.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
>>> Default locale: de_DE, platform encoding: UTF-8
>>> OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.9", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
>>>
>>> - build works fine
>>> - compared source archives with tag: content is the same
>>> - signatures are ok
>>> - Site looks good, the one FindBugs issue has been resolved but there is
>>> a new one:
>>>
>>> new org.apache.commons.pool2.proxy.JdkProxySource(ClassLoader, Class[])
>>> may expose internal representation by storing an externally mutable
>>> object into JdkProxySource.interfaces
>>>
>>> Again I cannot say if this a problem, because I'm not involved in the
>>> development of pool. Maybe others can comment on this?
>> It is an issue and I have fixed it in trunk. It slipped through as it
>> only became an issue when I changed the visibility of the class.
>>
>> There were also some niggles with the site build that were fixed post
>> tag.
>>
>>> All my points from RC1 have been addressed, thanks for that.
>> No problem. Thanks for the review. I've further improved the code
>> coverage of the tests since RC2 as well.
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Benedikt
>> I'm tempted to push to release RC2 as the issues are minor. However,
>> since they have all been fixed in trunk and the release process isn't
>> anywhere near as painful as I was expecting, I'll probably aim to do a
>> (hopefully final) RC3 later today.
>
> Sorry to be late reviewing this.  I have found a few other small things.
>
> 0) We forgot to specify required JDK level anywhere.  Fixed in
> trunk.  If you regenerate release notes, this will be fixed.
> 1) The Ant build is broken due to cglib dependency.  We should
> either dump the Ant build or fix it.  I don't have time to fix it
> right now, but will try to get to it this weekend if no one beats me
> to it.
> 2) I can't seem to find your signing key.  Is this a new one?  Have
> you put it in /dist/commons/KEYS
> 3) The class diagrams and a lot of other stuff in the site still
> needs updating.  Not a release showstopper; but might be best to
> just dump this stuff for now.  I will go after this after 1).
>
> I am having some trouble with the Ubuntu vm that I use to test JDK
> 1.6.  I will try to get this running so I can test on 1.6.  All of
> my testing up to now has been on 1.7.  We should make sure
> everything builds and runs OK on 1.6.  Has anyone tested on 1.6?

IBM JDK 1.6/1.7
IcedTea (OpenJDK) 6/7
Oracle JDK 1.6/1.7/1.8

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC2 as 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.