Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2006/02/01 20:16:03 UTC

Java 1.2 compatibility for the 'contrib' code

Folks,

We have a long standing policy of requiring Java 1.2 compatibility for
all code contributions to HttpClient including those that end up in the
'contrib' package. This policy prevents us from accepting the SPNEGO
auth scheme contributed by Mikael Wikström into Commons HttpClient code
repository.

We have two options:
(1) stick to the policy and include Mikael's code into HttpComponents
HttpAuth module, eventually to be released as a component of Jakarta
HttpClient 4.0
(2) Revoke the policy and accept Mikael's code as source-only
contribution to the 'contrib' package of HttpClient 3.1

What do we do?

Oleg

Re: Java 1.2 compatibility for the 'contrib' code

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
option 2/4 is my preference

cheers,
  Roland

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 01:41 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 01/02/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > We have a long standing policy of requiring Java 1.2 compatibility for
> > all code contributions to HttpClient including those that end up in the
> > 'contrib' package. This policy prevents us from accepting the SPNEGO
> > auth scheme contributed by Mikael Wikström into Commons HttpClient code
> > repository.
> >
> > We have two options:
> > (1) stick to the policy and include Mikael's code into HttpComponents
> > HttpAuth module, eventually to be released as a component of Jakarta
> > HttpClient 4.0
> > (2) Revoke the policy and accept Mikael's code as source-only
> > contribution to the 'contrib' package of HttpClient 3.1
>
> May I suggest:
>
> (3) Relax the policy for this code only.
> (4) Relax the policy for 'contrib' packages only.

This is essentially what I meant by (2). Probably I just failed to
articulate it correctly. There is no way we could change the minimal JRE
requirement for a minor release.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.
I say we do both.  I have no problem including non 1.2 code in contrib
since this is not included in the released jar anyway.

Mike