Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2012/05/21 21:56:50 UTC

Jenkins problem - Java mkdirs() failing

We have a build helper custom plugin that used to work on Jenkins, but seems to
have stopped working.

The plugin fails to create a subdirectory in the Jenkins .m2 repository.  I
suspect this is some kind of a permissions issue.  You can see the evidence in
this raw log output from our last failed build:

[1] https://builds.apache.org/job/UIMA-AS/123/consoleText

For this run, we moved (temporarily) the .repository to the WORKSPACE, so we
could see it - it's here:
[2] https://builds.apache.org/job/UIMA-AS/ws/.repository/org/apache/uima/

The failing java code is attempting to create the previous directories for a new
file in the .m2 repo, using:
targetFile.getParentFile().mkdirs();

where targetFile (from [1] is
"/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/UIMA-AS/.repository/org/apache/uima/uimaj/2.4.0/uimaj-2.4.0-bin.zip"

ThegetParentFile() should strip off the last piece, and make the new directories
"uimaj/2.4.0/" under .../org/apache/uima.

But it fails (no reason given).  You can see that it fails in [2] - the
.../org/apache/uima/ directory has no sub directory "uimaj".

Can someone with ssh access to the build machine (ubuntu1) take a look and see
if there is some kind of permission issue?  (I'm not sure what userid the build
runs as, and I don't know what "groups" the builder is a member of, and I don't
know what permissions are set on repository's .../org/apache/uima.  Having
answers to these may enable us to debug this and move forward).

Thanks very much!  -Marshall Schor

Re: Jenkins problem - Java mkdirs() failing

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thanks, that was the motivation I needed to dig into even less probable causes
(and I found the cause :-) ... -Marshall

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

uima-as build issue (was Jenkins problem - Java mkdirs() failing)

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I traced this down to a bad uima-build-helper-maven-plugin release.

The release was done on March 29.  SVN tag for the release has files data 3/29/2012.

The tag has
    CopyFromApacheDist.java  date: 3/15/2012 Rev: 1301120
The trunk has
    CopyFromApacheDist.java  date: 3/15/2012 Rev: 1301120

Both have the same (correct) content.

But the build that was uploaded to maven central has different content.
I compared its content to the previous revisions, and it is matching the first
revision done for this file, 1242049.  I don't know how this happened, I'm sorry
to report.

So - I'm going to do another release to correct this.

I think the simple (configuration over customization) approach will be to do
version 4 (last was version 3).

-Marshall