Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by "Uwe L. Korn" <uw...@xhochy.com> on 2017/08/01 13:44:15 UTC

Re: Arrow 0.6.0 release planning and timeline

Hello,

from my side we're mostly fine for a 0.6.0 release. Currently I'm facing
a problem with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-1302 in the
0.5.0 OSX wheels. We need to fix this before 0.6.0. Also I would like to
look a bit more into the jemalloc issues that came up with 0.5.0 to get
some of them solved in the next release.

Uwe

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
OK, I believe we are all set with the alignment patch in
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/954 if anyone wants to take a
last look.

I have one last Python issue that needs to be closed out, but barring
new developments, we should be able to start a 0.6.0 vote tomorrow
morning.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
hi all,

Posted by Siddharth Teotia <si...@dremio.com>.

Posted by Siddharth Teotia <si...@dremio.com>.
I will review it by EOD.

Posted by Li Jin <ic...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
hi all,

If there are no problems with the Plasma IP Clearance, I would like to
cut a release candidate for 0.6.0 at the beginning of next week. There
are a handful of issues pending on the Java and C++ side that I'll be
working to complete over the next several days. Please keep an eye on
the release page on JIRA:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/ARROW/versions/12341088

There are a number of outstanding Java patches; if you would like to
include any of these in the 0.6.0 release, could someone review?

Thanks,
Wes

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that ARROW-1282 is causing some users problems. We have the
> option of making a 0.5.1 release, but given how much work has reached
> master (or is about to reach master) I would be in favor of
> accelerating 0.6.0, cutting a release candidate within the next couple
> of days. We could aim for another release within 2-3 weeks after
> completing the Plasma IP clearance.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:44 AM, Uwe L. Korn <uw...@xhochy.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> from my side we're mostly fine for a 0.6.0 release. Currently I'm facing
>> a problem with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-1302 in the
>> 0.5.0 OSX wheels. We need to fix this before 0.6.0. Also I would like to
>> look a bit more into the jemalloc issues that came up with 0.5.0 to get
>> some of them solved in the next release.
>>
>> Uwe
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017, at 04:55 PM, Wes McKinney wrote:
>>> hi all,
>>>
>>> We're already 40 patches into the next Arrow version. I just created
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-1297 as a tracking issue
>>> so that any blocking issues can be tracked as we push forward to 0.6.0
>>>
>>> You can track the status of the release here (accessible from the
>>> "Projects" tab --> Releases in JIRA):
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/ARROW/versions/12341088
>>>
>>> We don't have any more data types slated for integration testing for
>>> this release, but it might be nice to try to finish one or more of
>>> them in the next week or two:
>>>
>>> - Fixed size binary
>>> - Fixed size lists
>>> - Decimal
>>> - Union
>>>
>>> As far as timeline for 0.6.0, I would like to push for an RC the week
>>> of 8/14 at latest (assuming we are ready to ship the Plasma C++ code),
>>> reducing scope if needed. Any contributions of code, documentation, or
>>> JIRA prioritization would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Wes

Re: Arrow 0.6.0 release planning and timeline

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.