Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gr...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/05 17:14:25 UTC

Copy Field and Dynamic Fields

Can the copy field functionality be applied to dynamic fields?

-Grant

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.grantingersoll.com

---------------------------------

Re: Copy Field and Dynamic Fields

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On 3/5/06, Grant Ingersoll <gr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can the copy field functionality be applied to dynamic fields?

You're finding the weak points fast, Grant :-)
copyField doesn't work with dynamic fields yet, but it seems like a
good think to enable.

copyField from a dynamic field to a normal field seems relatively easy.

copyField from a dynamic field to another dynamic field should also be
doable... just strip off the prefix/suffix on the source to get the
"base" name, then apply the prefix/suffix on the target to get the
target dynamic field.

copyField from a normal field to a dynamic field: seems unnecessary I think.

We just need to be careful of performance.  Matching a field name to a
dynamic field is a linear operation.  In hindsight I wish I had been
more restrictive on how the names could be constructed.

-Yonik