Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/03/12 20:33:53 UTC

[Heads Up] AltProfile package in Excalibur Scratchpad

Leif is at it again!

In Excalibur scratchpad, we now have a functioning Profiler/Intrumentor,
as well as an example program for it.  This is really an exciting piece
of work, as we can monitor several aspects of a running system with
minimal overhead.

Since the "altprofile" package is in scratchpad, I will list the caveats:

* The package name is changing to "instrument"
* The class names are changing
* We have not enabled the separation of the GUI from the JVM that is
   being profiled.

That said, when we finish that work, the ECM will be fully instrumented,
and we will be able to connect to a Cocoon instance running in a web
server and monitor pool size, component instantiations per second,
etc. all without changing a single line of code in Cocoon.

What everyone has been clamoring for will become a reality!

We do have a functioning example, with a really nice, simple, and
powerful GUI.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin