Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Gary Jackson <ga...@my-generation.org.uk> on 2015/01/26 15:09:57 UTC

Spreadsheet Problem

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to complete the attached spreadsheet. Whatever I
try to enter in the "mileage" column gives me the box saying "If this is
your first claim.... etc"

Any ideas?

Re: Spreadsheet Problem

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 14:09 26/01/2015 +0000, Gary Jackson wrote:
>I don't seem to be able to complete the attached spreadsheet.
>Whatever I try to enter in the "mileage" column gives me the box
>saying "If this is your first claim.... etc". Any ideas?

Here's a potential workaround:
o Open the spreadsheet in OpenOffice (Calc).
o Go to File | Save As..., select "ODF Spreadsheet (.ods)" for "Save
as type" and save in OpenOffice's native format.
o In the Re-type Password dialogue, click "Re-type" for Volunteer
Form (the visible sheet).
o In the further Re-type Password dialogue, select "Remove password
from this protected item".
o Click OK and OK.
o Close the new file.
o Reopen the new file.
o Populate the spreadsheet.
o If desired, save the document back as .xls for submission. The
document appearance is likely to be similar to what is expected, but
there are no guarantees as to the hidden functionality.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

RE: Spreadsheet Problem

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I opened the document in Excel 2013 to see exactly what protections were in effect.

The first thing that happened (after enabling editing of a file from the Internet), was that Macros were disabled.  I did not enable macros, just to see what I could do without them.

I was then able to make entries in mileage and mileage-rate cells.  When I attempted to change a caption, I was told that cell was protected.  I did not see the warning that occurs when the file is opened in either Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

In both LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice I see the same message that Gary is reporting. I also saw a macro warning and I did not allow macros to be enabled.  I did what the message says, but the message is repeated if I attempt to enter any mileage greater than 0.01 in any row of the sheet.  When I saved the document, I received warnings about the output format and then when I said I wanted .xsl anyhow, the save was reported as unable to preserve all macros.

Both LibreOffice and ApacheOpenOffice recognize that some cells are protected and some are not.  The validation message about first-time use, etc. is apparently not related to protection.  There is some other incompatibility involved.

 - Dennis

PS: For any follow-up, please reply to users @ openoffice.apache.org where other experts may have advice and others can learn the solutions to common problems.  The OpenOffice Forums have an extensive knowledge base at https://forum.openoffice.org/ as well.

PPS: I also uploaded the .xslx file to OneDrive to see if it could be edited in a browser.  Unfortunately, no.  The Microsoft Office Web App reported that the file could not be opened on the web and that I would need Office on my computer (which I do have, as already reported) to work with the file.  I suspect that has to do with the protections and possibly the macros used on the document.  (I was able to open the file in OneDrive on my old-model Windows Phone, but I could not edit it there.)

Posted by Scooter <st...@scootersdesk.com>.
Sorry Gary,