Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by James Peach <jp...@apache.org> on 2016/08/11 16:57:38 UTC

RFC: replacing logs_xml.config for 7.0

Hi all,

As part of our gradual shift to a more programmatic configuration model, we have reimplemented the custom logging configuration file in Lua, replacing the old XML-based configuration. The primary Jira for this work is TS-4548.

The configuration format is still in review, so now is a great time for your feedback on both the proposal itself and the specific syntax of the new logging.config configuration file.

The default config looks like this:
	https://github.com/jpeach/trafficserver/blob/65fdb20c378cbcbdebb9dee98e1565a637608cd4/proxy/config/logging.config.default

The configuration we have deployed on docs.trafficserver.apache.org looks like this:
	log.binary {
	    Filename = 'squid'
	}

Since this is the last XML configuration file, we will be able to drop the XML library dependencies, so you will no longer have to build against expat or libxml2.

I also filed TS-4639 for some upgrade tooling since I expect that a lot of sites have customized logs. If you would like to volunteer for this, or if you have any feedback about the usefulness of upgrade tooling, please let me know.

thanks,
James

Re: RFC: replacing logs_xml.config for 7.0

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Aug 11, 2016, at 9:57 AM, James Peach <jp...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As part of our gradual shift to a more programmatic configuration model, we have reimplemented the custom logging configuration file in Lua, replacing the old XML-based configuration. The primary Jira for this work is TS-4548.
>
> The configuration format is still in review, so now is a great time for your feedback on both the proposal itself and the specific syntax of the new logging.config configuration file.
>
> The default config looks like this:
> 	https://github.com/jpeach/trafficserver/blob/65fdb20c378cbcbdebb9dee98e1565a637608cd4/proxy/config/logging.config.default
>
> The configuration we have deployed on docs.trafficserver.apache.org looks like this:
> 	log.binary {
> 	    Filename = 'squid'
> 	}

+1. I did this migration on docs.trafficserver, and it was very straight forward.

Cheers,

— Leif

Re: RFC: replacing logs_xml.config for 7.0

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.