Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Joerg Jaspert <mo...@german.ath.cx> on 2002/03/05 18:43:39 UTC

DBIx::Recordset and Select with $order

Hi

If i have

*set = DBIx::Recordset->Select(
	{'!DataSource' => $dsn,
	 '!Table'      => 'config',
	 '!Username'   => $user,
	 '!Password'   => $pass,
	 '$order'      => 'id'});

it wont work. If i only change Select to Search it works. But in
perldoc DBIx::Recordset its documented that only Select works with
order.

--
begin  OjE-ist-scheisse.txt
bye, Joerg

Re: DBIx::Recordset and Select with $order

Posted by Joerg Jaspert <em...@german.ath.cx>.
"Gerald Richter" <ri...@ecos.de> writes:

> No, according to that documentation your example has to be written as
> *set = DBIx::Recordset->Select(
> {'!DataSource' => $dsn,
> '!Table'      => 'config',
> '!Username'   => $user,
> '!Password'   => $pass}, undef, 'id');
> again, order is the third parameter to Select and _not_ a part of the
> parameter hash.

Uups, öhm. I see the difference. Hmmpf i should read the docs more careful.

> Hopefully it's more clear now

Yes, thx.

> P.S. You asked on the embperl mailing list, but answered on the modperl
> list. I CC it to both...

Hmm, something strange happened with my filter. All mails sorted to the
Modperl-Archiv. Sorry.

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> In my perldoc DBIx::Recorset there is:
>
> *set = DBIx::Recordset -> Select (\%params, $fields, $order)
> $set -> Select (\%params, $fields, $order)
> $set -> Select ($where, $fields, $order)
>            Selects records from the recordsets table(s).
> [...]
>            order:  comma separated list of fieldnames to sort on
>
> *set = DBIx::Recordset -> Search (\%params)
> [nothing with $order here]
>
> So the Documentation is *very* wrong. :)

No, according to that documentation your example has to be written as

*set = DBIx::Recordset->Select(
{'!DataSource' => $dsn,
'!Table'      => 'config',
'!Username'   => $user,
'!Password'   => $pass}, undef, 'id');

again, order is the third parameter to Select and _not_ a part of the
parameter hash.

> (Yes, in the Examples Part $order is only used with Search, but i dont
> look there very often. :) )

It's mentioned under "Search parameters", as I wrote in my privious mail:

  Search parameters

    $start
    First row to fetch. The row specified here will appear as index 0 in the
    data array.
    [..]

   $order
   Fieldname(s) for ordering (ORDER BY) (must be comma-separated, could
   also contain USING)

Since Search (and other methods) can take the same parameters, the parameter
are grouped together in the documentation by type.

Hopefully it's more clear now

Gerald

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

Posted by Joerg Jaspert <mo...@german.ath.cx>.