Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by I Am <oi...@yahoo.com> on 2007/03/25 14:06:28 UTC

svn-book inconsistency?

Since I'm just learning SVN, this problem may be with me.  But...

It seems that the svn-book.html (for 1.2) is inconsistent with regard to its use
(or not) of "trunk" in the examples.  I've tried to use the book as a
project-side companion as I created my first project using SVN.  I'm a past CVS
user.  I've found myself making mistakes several times now with regard to the
use of "trunk".

I think what is happening is that some parts of book explicitly use
"myproject/trunk" (or the equivalent) in an example, and some parts don't.  For
example, the "snv checkout" synopsis does NOT mention trunk.

I'm beginning to realize that the use of "trunk" is just a convention so the
documentation isn't wrong.  But it would help eliminate confusion if it always
used "trunk" in all examples with possibly a note saying that the use of trunk
isn't strictly necessary.

I think I'm going to be VERY HAPPY with the switch from CVS to SVN!

Re: svn-book inconsistency?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 25, 2007, at 09:06, I Am wrote:

> It seems that the svn-book.html (for 1.2) is inconsistent with
> regard to its use
> (or not) of "trunk" in the examples.  I've tried to use the book as a
> project-side companion as I created my first project using SVN.
> I'm a past CVS
> user.  I've found myself making mistakes several times now with
> regard to the
> use of "trunk".
>
> I think what is happening is that some parts of book explicitly use
> "myproject/trunk" (or the equivalent) in an example, and some parts
> don't.  For
> example, the "snv checkout" synopsis does NOT mention trunk.
>
> I'm beginning to realize that the use of "trunk" is just a
> convention so the
> documentation isn't wrong.  But it would help eliminate confusion
> if it always
> used "trunk" in all examples with possibly a note saying that the
> use of trunk
> isn't strictly necessary.

Welcome to Subversion!

Feedback on the book is best provided on the book's mailing list: