Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/17 19:31:01 UTC

[all] Project blog?

I took a break from Commons stuff yesterday to work on some Commons
stuff. A while back I decided I should stop posting Commons bits in my
personal blog and make a blog dedicated to it. A few days ago it
dawned on me that I should then try to lure other Commons bloggers
into putting their Commons bits on the same blog. One blog, many
authors. A project blog.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

http://www.featheredblogs.org/blogs/page/commoners

Much work still needed obviously, but thought I'd see what people
thought.  Of special note:

- the Triage page is scraped from JIRA's RSS feed to produce a page on
which issues that need deciding on can be looked at. I'll add an RSS
option and have it email the list at some point too. It only has
certain components currently (ones that have been cleaned up).

- the 'In the Sandbox' category is an idea for a stock interview about
a new sandbox component. A bit of advertising basically.

Some questions:

* Anyone interested in the idea?
* Should there be a commentary category? I imagine this could get hard
with many authors.
* Anyone know of projects already doing this kind of thing?

Bugs:

* The icons for viewing a date seem to be broken.

Hen

Re: [all] Project blog?

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
the maven project is doing this. See http://www.mavenblogs.com/

On 7/18/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I took a break from Commons stuff yesterday to work on some Commons
> stuff. A while back I decided I should stop posting Commons bits in my
> personal blog and make a blog dedicated to it. A few days ago it
> dawned on me that I should then try to lure other Commons bloggers
> into putting their Commons bits on the same blog. One blog, many
> authors. A project blog.
>
> Here's what I've come up with so far:
>
> http://www.featheredblogs.org/blogs/page/commoners
>
> Much work still needed obviously, but thought I'd see what people
> thought.  Of special note:
>
> - the Triage page is scraped from JIRA's RSS feed to produce a page on
> which issues that need deciding on can be looked at. I'll add an RSS
> option and have it email the list at some point too. It only has
> certain components currently (ones that have been cleaned up).
>
> - the 'In the Sandbox' category is an idea for a stock interview about
> a new sandbox component. A bit of advertising basically.
>
> Some questions:
>
> * Anyone interested in the idea?
> * Should there be a commentary category? I imagine this could get hard
> with many authors.
> * Anyone know of projects already doing this kind of thing?
>
> Bugs:
>
> * The icons for viewing a date seem to be broken.
>
> Hen

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize" -
Muhammad Ali

Re: [all] Project blog?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 7/18/06, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 7/17/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I took a break from Commons stuff yesterday to work on some Commons
> > stuff. A while back I decided I should stop posting Commons bits in my
> > personal blog and make a blog dedicated to it. A few days ago it
> > dawned on me that I should then try to lure other Commons bloggers
> > into putting their Commons bits on the same blog. One blog, many
> > authors. A project blog.
>
> Nice ...although I would prefer the planet apache approach. So
> everyone could just blog in a certain tag/category and everything gets
> aggregated. Less intrusive and I am sure easier to get people to blog
> about it.
>
>  http://vafer.org/blog/tag/commons

Been meaning to reply to this one.

The difference is that this is a constrained blog - rather than it
being our personal comments it's instead a time for unified voice. So
I'm seeking to have specific types of posts (tips, staged interviews,
announcements), but not random thoughts about how Commons should do
things.

No real clue really - proof will be in how well it works. Might want
to do a Draft-Then-Review for some categories in which a different
person reviews than writes.

Hen

Re: [all] Project blog?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
On 7/17/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I took a break from Commons stuff yesterday to work on some Commons
> stuff. A while back I decided I should stop posting Commons bits in my
> personal blog and make a blog dedicated to it. A few days ago it
> dawned on me that I should then try to lure other Commons bloggers
> into putting their Commons bits on the same blog. One blog, many
> authors. A project blog.

Nice ...although I would prefer the planet apache approach. So
everyone could just blog in a certain tag/category and everything gets
aggregated. Less intrusive and I am sure easier to get people to blog
about it.

 http://vafer.org/blog/tag/commons

;-)

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [all] Project blog?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 10:31 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> I took a break from Commons stuff yesterday to work on some Commons
> stuff. A while back I decided I should stop posting Commons bits in my
> personal blog and make a blog dedicated to it. A few days ago it
> dawned on me that I should then try to lure other Commons bloggers
> into putting their Commons bits on the same blog. One blog, many
> authors. A project blog.
>
> Here's what I've come up with so far:
>
> http://www.featheredblogs.org/blogs/page/commoners
>
> Much work still needed obviously, but thought I'd see what people
> thought.  Of special note:
>
> - the Triage page is scraped from JIRA's RSS feed to produce a page on
> which issues that need deciding on can be looked at. I'll add an RSS
> option and have it email the list at some point too. It only has
> certain components currently (ones that have been cleaned up).
>
> - the 'In the Sandbox' category is an idea for a stock interview about
> a new sandbox component. A bit of advertising basically.
>
> Some questions:
>
> * Anyone interested in the idea?

sounds cool

- robert

Re: [all] Project blog?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 7/20/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 10:31 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > I took a break from Commons stuff yesterday to work on some Commons
> > stuff. A while back I decided I should stop posting Commons bits in my
> > personal blog and make a blog dedicated to it. A few days ago it
> > dawned on me that I should then try to lure other Commons bloggers
> > into putting their Commons bits on the same blog. One blog, many
> > authors. A project blog.
> >
> > Here's what I've come up with so far:
> >
> > http://www.featheredblogs.org/blogs/page/commoners
> >
> > Much work still needed obviously, but thought I'd see what people
> > thought.  Of special note:
> >
> > - the Triage page is scraped from JIRA's RSS feed to produce a page on
> > which issues that need deciding on can be looked at. I'll add an RSS
> > option and have it email the list at some point too. It only has
> > certain components currently (ones that have been cleaned up).
> >
> > - the 'In the Sandbox' category is an idea for a stock interview about
> > a new sandbox component. A bit of advertising basically.
> >
> > Some questions:
> >
> > * Anyone interested in the idea?
>
> i've had a little bit of think and i'd be interested in sign up if you'd
> be happy for me to sign on...

Anyone committing is more than welcome. I'll get around to it after lunch.

Hen

Re: [all] Project blog?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hey Henri!
>> Here's what I've come up with so far:
>>
>> http://www.featheredblogs.org/blogs/page/commoners

If you're searching for some additional commoners you could sign me in too.
I think a tip about VFS now and then should be possible - and great.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [all] Project blog?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.