Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by 19...@gmx.net on 2011/09/21 09:52:21 UTC

default realm set to JAASRealm in StandardEngine

Hi folks,

I have removed the MemoryRealm from my server.xml in Tomcat 6.0.33 and noticed that the StandardEngine creates a JAASRealm [1]:
21.09.2011 09:14:58 org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm setContainer
INFO: Set JAAS app name Catalina

What is the reasoning behind this?
I assume that any app will fail because I have never configured the JAAS config file.

Mike

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/core/StandardEngine.java?view=markup#l153

Re: default realm set to JAASRealm in StandardEngine

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/9/21  <19...@gmx.net>:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have removed the MemoryRealm from my server.xml in Tomcat 6.0.33 and noticed that the StandardEngine creates a JAASRealm [1]:
> 21.09.2011 09:14:58 org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm setContainer
> INFO: Set JAAS app name Catalina
>
> What is the reasoning behind this?
> I assume that any app will fail because I have never configured the JAAS config file.

This message is also observed while running the test cases (e.g.
TestCometProcessor)

    [junit] 24.09.2011 17:23:56 org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm setContainer
    [junit] INFO: Set JAAS app name Tomcat

Personally it feels more like a bug than a feature.

I do not mind changing it, e.g. to speed up tests, as I agree to what
Pid wrote "If your app needs an auth realm, isn't it your
responsibility to provide one?". More investigation is needed though
to review if there are consequences.

> Mike
>
> [1]
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/core/StandardEngine.java?view=markup#l153

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: default realm set to JAASRealm in StandardEngine

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 21/09/2011 15:54, Michael-O wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> Christopher Schultz schrieb:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> On 9/21/2011 3:52 AM, 1983-01-06@gmx.net wrote:
>>> I have removed the MemoryRealm from my server.xml in Tomcat 6.0.33
>>> and noticed that the StandardEngine creates a JAASRealm [1]:
>>> 21.09.2011 09:14:58 org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm
>>> setContainer INFO: Set JAAS app name Catalina
>>>
>>> What is the reasoning behind this?
>>
>> Maybe it's easier and safer to have a dummy Realm than no realm at all.
>
> I don't consider the JAASRealm as a dummy realm. Maybe a NonRealm like
> NonAuthenticator would make sense.
>
>>> I assume that any app will fail because I have never configured the
>>> JAAS config file.
>>
>> If you never use authentication, I suspect you won't fail.
>>
>> Have you actually tried it?
>
> No, I did not yet but will do tomorrow and will report back. I guess it
> will when an app needs authentication because at least the loginConf
> "Catalina" won't be found.

Straw man.  If your app needs an auth realm, isn't it your
responsibility to provide one?

There's no problem with the message above, it's INFO.

Re: default realm set to JAASRealm in StandardEngine

Posted by Michael-O <19...@gmx.net>.
Christopher,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.