Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com> on 2013/05/24 01:14:41 UTC

Note on The Book

To those of you who may have heard about the Lucene/Solr book that I and two others are writing on Lucene and Solr, some bad and good news. The bad news: The book contract with O’Reilly has been canceled. The good news: I’m going to proceed with self-publishing (possibly on Lulu or even Amazon) a somewhat reduced scope Solr-only Reference Guide (with hints of Lucene). The scope of the previous effort was too great, even for O’Reilly – a book larger than 800 pages (or even 600) that was heavy on reference and lighter on “guide” just wasn’t fitting in with their traditional “guide” model. In truth, Solr is just too complex for a simple guide that covers it all, let alone Lucene as well.

I’ll announce more details in the coming weeks, but I expect to publish an e-book-only version of the book, focused on Solr reference (and plenty of guide as well), possibly on Lulu, plus eventually publish 4-8 individual print volumes for people who really want the paper. One model I may pursue is to offer the current, incomplete, raw, rough, draft as a $7.99 e-book, with the promise of updates every two weeks or a month as new and revised content and new releases of Solr become available. Maybe the individual e-book volumes would be $2 or $3. These are just preliminary ideas. Feel free to let me know what seems reasonable or excessive.

For paper: Do people really want perfect bound, or would you prefer spiral bound that lies flat and folds back easily? I suppose we could offer both – which should be considered “premium”?

I’ll announce more details next week. The immediate goal will be to get the “raw rough draft” available to everyone ASAP.

For those of you who have been early reviewers – your effort will not have been in vain. I have all your comments and will address them over the next month or two or three.

Just for some clarity, the existing Solr Wiki and even the recent contribution of the LucidWorks Solr Reference to Apache really are still great contributions to general knowledge about Solr, but the book is intended to go much deeper into detail, especially with loads of examples and a lot more narrative guide. For example, the book has a complete list of the analyzer filters, each with a clean one-liner description. Ditto for every parameter (although I would note that the LucidWorks Solr Reference does a decent job of that as well.) Maybe, eventually, everything in the book COULD (and will) be integrated into the standard Solr doc, but until then, a single, integrated reference really is sorely needed. And, the book has a lot of narrative guide and walking through examples as well. Over time, I’m sure both will evolve. And just to be clear, the book is not a simple repurposing of the Solr wiki content – EVERY description of everything has been written fresh, from scratch. So, for example, analyzer filters get both short one-liner summary descriptions as well as more detailed descriptions, plus formal attribute specifications and numerous examples, including sample input and outputs (the LucidWorks Solr Reference does a better job with examples as well.)

The book has been written in parallel with branch_4x and that will continue.

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Point taken. Although initially the focus is on one big e-book - to make
searching easier, with zero chance of printing that as one paper book, the
intent is to go multi-volume for the print edition down the road a little
bit.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Markus,

Okay, more pages it is!

-- Jack Krupansky

RE: Note on The Book

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Jack,

Re: Note on The Book

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps, you will enjoy mine then:
http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-for-indexing-data/book .

I will send a formal announcement to the list a little later, but
basically this is a book for advanced beginners and early
intermediates and takes them from a basic index to multilingual
indexing with bells and whistles. Covers a small part of Solr (Solr is
big!), but shows how different parts work together. It's structured as
a cookbook but the narrative is a journey.

Regards,
   Alex.

at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Yago Riveiro <ya...@gmail.com>.

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Note on The Book

RE: Note on The Book

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.
Now my contribution can be read on soleami blog in English:

Automatically Acquiring Synonym Knowledge from Wikipedia
http://soleami.com/blog/automatically-acquiring-synonym-knowledge-from-wikipedia.html

koji

--
http://soleami.com/blog/lucene-4-is-super-convenient-for-developing-nlp-tools.html

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.
Hi Jack,

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Thanks, Erick. I could do the experiment of publishing both spiral and
perfect found and see which "wins". Spiral does have the one downside of not
standing out on a shelf. But, for now, I'll focus on getting the (rough
draft) e-book available ASAP.

-- Jack Krupansky

Kudos for carrying on! Having a contract canceled after putting a lot
of work into it must be a bummer...

Personally I'm not buying many paper books any more, so the e-book
version is preferable for me, so take this with a grain of salt.. but
make the paper version spiral bound, _please_. I wish every reference
book or cookbook or whatever, really anything I have to look at when
my fingers are busy doing something else was spiral bound....

Best
Erick

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Jack:

Re: Note on The Book

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Jack,

It is worth considering something like https://leanpub.com/ . That way
people can pre-pay for the result and enjoy (however 'draft'-y)
results earlier.

In terms of reference vs narrative, my strong desire would have been
for the narrative part. The problem always seems to be around
understanding how the pieces/flow fit together and - only then - what
specific parameters have what syntax.

For printed books, I'd probably go for a ring binder for basic version
and maybe combined hard-cover for premium one. The premium one would
be the one you get office to buy or as a present. :-)