Posted to bsf-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/07 03:20:37 UTC

Migration to SVN

Congrats on the recent activity, very good to see.

I thought I'd mention the SVN migration and offer to take care of it
if you'd like.

Looking at BSF, it seems that a basic structure of:

* jakarta-bsf HEAD ->  jakarta/bsf/trunk/
* jakarta-bsf branches -> jakarta/bsf/branches/
* jakarta-bsf tags -> jakarta/bsf/tags/

would fit pretty well. The only apparant options would be if you
wanted to have three separate submodules, taglibs, examples and core;
but I suspect you won't.

--

As it was a fair while ago when I mailed about the reasons for wanting
to move to SVN, and things were quite quiet then, I'll recap:

(http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/Migrating_to_Subversion)

The ASF admins would like to be off CVS and onto SVN as it's better
designed for an organization with over a thousand committers. SVN is
much like CVS with some notable improvements (move files, much lighter
on the network) and an easy choice on the command line for Windows,
*nix or Apple.

The only negative for SVN that I've come across is that its Eclipse
plugin is following the 80/20 rule compared to the excellent Eclipse
CVS support so some of the luxuries are not implemented (graphing of
logs). IDEA's early access version supports SVN natively but I'm
unsure about other IDEs.

--

Anyway, -1/+1's would be good to hear. :)

Hen

Re: Migration to SVN

Posted by sanka samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com>.
+1 to moing to SVN!

I wonder how we should put  jsr223 codes in proper hierarchy ..!!

regards !!

--sanka

Re: Migration to SVN

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Hen,

Re: Migration to SVN

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Hen,

> Congrats on the recent activity, very good to see.

Thanks; we're looking forward to re-livening up BSF!

> I thought I'd mention the SVN migration and offer to take care of it
> if you'd like.

Absolutely +1 to moving to SVN!

> Looking at BSF, it seems that a basic structure of:
>
> * jakarta-bsf HEAD ->  jakarta/bsf/trunk/
> * jakarta-bsf branches -> jakarta/bsf/branches/
> * jakarta-bsf tags -> jakarta/bsf/tags/

Yes that should be fine.

> would fit pretty well. The only apparant options would be if you
> wanted to have three separate submodules, taglibs, examples and core;
> but I suspect you won't.

Nahh .. maybe later but right now we need to lay a new foundation first.

Let's give the others a couple of days to +1 this plan and then let's go
ahead!

Thanks for your help,

Sanjiva.