Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Yikun Jiang <yi...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/19 00:15:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] SPIP: Support Docker Official Image for Spark

Hi, all

I would like to start the discussion for supporting Docker Official Image
for Spark.

This SPIP is proposed to add Docker Official Image(DOI)
<https://github.com/docker-library/official-images> to ensure the Spark
Docker images meet the quality standards for Docker images, to provide
these Docker images for users who want to use Apache Spark via Docker image.

There are also several Apache projects that release the Docker Official
Images <https://hub.docker.com/search?q=apache&image_filter=official>, such
as: flink <https://hub.docker.com/_/flink>, storm
<https://hub.docker.com/_/storm>, solr <https://hub.docker.com/_/solr>,
zookeeper <https://hub.docker.com/_/zookeeper>, httpd
<https://hub.docker.com/_/httpd> (with 50M+ to 1B+ download for each). From
the huge download statistics, we can see the real demands of users, and
from the support of other apache projects, we should also be able to do it.

After support:

   -

   The Dockerfile will still be maintained by the Apache Spark community
   and reviewed by Docker.
   -

   The images will be maintained by the Docker community to ensure the
   quality standards for Docker images of the Docker community.

It will also reduce the extra docker images maintenance effort (such as
frequently rebuilding, image security update) of the Apache Spark community.

See more in SPIP DOC:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nN-pKuvt-amUcrkTvYAQ-bJBgtsWb9nAkNoVNRM2S2o

cc: Ruifeng (co-author) and Hyukjin (shepherd)

Regards,
Yikun

Re: [DISCUSS] SPIP: Support Docker Official Image for Spark

Posted by Ankit Gupta <in...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Yikun for the explanation and Hyukjin. So, what I understand is,
this is to establish the structure so that we start building the DOIs for
now and slowly and steadily build and add more and more images further.

Regards,

Ankit Prakash Gupta

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yikun Jiang <yi...@gmail.com>.
@Ankit

Posted by Ankit Gupta <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yikun

Posted by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Yikun Jiang <yi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xinrong Meng <xi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Qian SUN <qi...@gmail.com>.
+1.

--
Best!
Qian SUN

Re: [DISCUSS] SPIP: Support Docker Official Image for Spark

Posted by "416161436@qq.com" <ru...@foxmail.com>.
+1

Ruifeng&nbsp;Zheng
ruifengz@foxmail.com

&nbsp;

------------------&nbsp;Original&nbsp;------------------
From:                                                                                                                        "Chao Sun"                                                                                    <sunchao@apache.org&gt;;
Date:&nbsp;Wed, Sep 21, 2022 00:18 AM
To:&nbsp;"Wenchen Fan"<cloud0fan@gmail.com&gt;;
Cc:&nbsp;"Yang,Jie(INF)"<yangjie01@baidu.com&gt;;"Yikun Jiang"<yikunkero@gmail.com&gt;;"Denny Lee"<denny.g.lee@gmail.com&gt;;"bo zhaobo"<bzhaojyathousandy@gmail.com&gt;;"Yuming Wang"<wgyumg@gmail.com&gt;;"Kent Yao"<yao@apache.org&gt;;"Gengliang Wang"<ltnwgl@gmail.com&gt;;"Hyukjin Kwon"<gurwls223@gmail.com&gt;;"dev"<dev@spark.apache.org&gt;;"416161436@qq.com"<ruifengz@foxmail.com&gt;;
Subject:&nbsp;Re: [DISCUSS] SPIP: Support Docker Official Image for Spark

+1 (non-binding)

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 10:17 PM Wenchen Fan <cloud0fan@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt; +1
&gt;
&gt; On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 2:59 PM Yang,Jie(INF) <yangjie01@baidu.com&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; +1 (non-binding)
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Yang Jie
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; ________________________________
&gt;&gt; 发件人: Yikun Jiang <yikunkero@gmail.com&gt;
&gt;&gt; 发送时间: 2022年9月19日 14:23:14
&gt;&gt; 收件人: Denny Lee
&gt;&gt; 抄送: bo zhaobo; Yuming Wang; Kent Yao; Gengliang Wang; Hyukjin Kwon; dev; zrf
&gt;&gt; 主题: Re: [DISCUSS] SPIP: Support Docker Official Image for Spark
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Thanks for your support!&nbsp; @all
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; &gt; Count me in to help as well, eh?! :)
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; @Denny Sure, It would be great to have your help! I'm going to create a JIRA and TASKS if the SPIP vote passes.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 10:34 AM Denny Lee <denny.g.lee@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; +1 (non-binding).
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; This is a great idea and we should definitely do this.&nbsp; Count me in to help as well, eh?! :)
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 7:24 PM bo zhaobo <bzhaojyathousandy@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; +1 (non-binding)
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; This will bring the good experience to customers. So excited about this. ;-)
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Yuming Wang <wgyumg@gmail.com&gt; 于2022年9月19日周一 10:18写道:
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; +1.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 9:44 AM Kent Yao <yao@apache.org&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; +1
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Gengliang Wang <ltnwgl@gmail.com&gt; 于2022年9月19日周一 09:23写道:
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt; +1, thanks for the work!
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt; On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 6:20 PM Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; +1
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; On Mon, 19 Sept 2022 at 09:15, Yikun Jiang <yikunkero@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; Hi, all
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; I would like to start the discussion for supporting Docker Official Image for Spark.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; This SPIP is proposed to add Docker Official Image(DOI) to ensure the Spark Docker images meet the quality standards for Docker images, to provide these Docker images for users who want to use Apache Spark via Docker image.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; There are also several Apache projects that release the Docker Official Images, such as: flink, storm, solr, zookeeper, httpd (with 50M+ to 1B+ download for each). From the huge download statistics, we can see the real demands of users, and from the support of other apache projects, we should also be able to do it.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; After support:
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; The Dockerfile will still be maintained by the Apache Spark community and reviewed by Docker.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; The images will be maintained by the Docker community to ensure the quality standards for Docker images of the Docker community.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; It will also reduce the extra docker images maintenance effort (such as frequently rebuilding, image security update) of the Apache Spark community.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; See more in SPIP DOC: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nN-pKuvt-amUcrkTvYAQ-bJBgtsWb9nAkNoVNRM2S2o
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; cc: Ruifeng (co-author) and Hyukjin (shepherd)
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; Regards,
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; Yikun
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ---------------------------------------------------------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Re: [DISCUSS] SPIP: Support Docker Official Image for Spark

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

答复: [DISCUSS] SPIP: Support Docker Official Image for Spark

Posted by "Yang,Jie(INF)" <ya...@baidu.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Yang Jie

________________________________