Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2005/02/09 00:27:34 UTC

Apache-Test subdirectory has moved

the Apache-Test/ subdirectory of the perl-framework has migrated to a new
location:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/Apache-Test

what this means for you is that you need to manually adjust your checkout

  $ rm -rf Apache-Test/
  $ svn update

to get the perl-framework running smoothly again.  if you have any problems
with access or permissions, just let me know and we'll get it sorted out.

part of the reason we did this migration was to separate testing activities
from the development of the Apache-Test engine.  to that end, two new
mailings lists were created:

  test-dev@perl.apache.org
  test-commits@perl.apache.org

so, if you want to follow Apache-Test development you will want to subscribe
to one or both of those mailing lists via sending an empty email to

  test-dev-subscribe@perl.apache.org
  test-commits-subscribe@perl.apache.org

although I suspect that we will all be following test-dev@httpd.apache.org
as well, the use of the new dev list is encouraged for ongoing discussions
directly related to Apache-Test.

--Geoff

Re: Apache-Test subdirectory has moved

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
[...]
> cool.  I'm going to spend some time over the next few days trying to get
> this situated, then.
>

>>should there be Apache-Test/dist too? or should the CPAN distribution be
>>sufficient?
>

> we can do that, although http://search.cpan.org/dist/Apache-Test/ is just as
> good.  but if we want to mirror the way we do mod_perl then we can have
> dist/ as well, no problem.

it doesn't matter, less work for us w/o it.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
[...]

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
[...]

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> yay, php docs at perl.apache.org :)

they may be more popular, but I think we still win when it comes to
open-source altruism :)

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> additionally I think we should have subdirectories for each of the supported
> languages
>
> /Apache-Test/perl
> /Apache-Test/php
> /Apache-Test/parrot (someday soon)
>
> and so on.  in fact, it was the need for a home for php-related docs and
> whatnot that prompted this move in the first place ;)

yay, php docs at perl.apache.org :)

>>>And maybe moving testing.pod there would be great too.
>>>s/testing.pod/tutorial.pod/?
>

> yes, specifically under /Apache-Test/perl was what I was going to suggest.

+1

>>and probably a rewrite rule should be added too for those who link
>>directly to that URL.
>>
>>http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html#Extending_Configuration_Setup
>

> good idea.  from an .htaccess file or do we do that in the core httpd.conf?

please refer to the comment at the top of modperl-docs/httpd.conf

>>of course we could avoid all that, by keeping the tutorial where it is,
>>and just add a link from config.cfg to it.
>

> sure.  but what I'm hoping to accomplish is a more coherent set of
> documentation for Apache-Test that transcends what we've done (and
> documented well) over in mod_perl-land.  so shuffling things about would
> help that I think.  you?

I'm all for it!

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> additionally I think we should have subdirectories for each of the supported
> languages
>
> /Apache-Test/perl
> /Apache-Test/php
> /Apache-Test/parrot (someday soon)
>
> and so on.  in fact, it was the need for a home for php-related docs and
> whatnot that prompted this move in the first place ;)

yay, php docs at perl.apache.org :)

>>>And maybe moving testing.pod there would be great too.
>>>s/testing.pod/tutorial.pod/?
>

> yes, specifically under /Apache-Test/perl was what I was going to suggest.

+1

>>and probably a rewrite rule should be added too for those who link
>>directly to that URL.
>>
>>http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html#Extending_Configuration_Setup
>

> good idea.  from an .htaccess file or do we do that in the core httpd.conf?

please refer to the comment at the top of modperl-docs/httpd.conf

>>of course we could avoid all that, by keeping the tutorial where it is,
>>and just add a link from config.cfg to it.
>

> sure.  but what I'm hoping to accomplish is a more coherent set of
> documentation for Apache-Test that transcends what we've done (and
> documented well) over in mod_perl-land.  so shuffling things about would
> help that I think.  you?

I'm all for it!

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> additionally I think we should have subdirectories for each of the supported
> languages
>
> /Apache-Test/perl
> /Apache-Test/php
> /Apache-Test/parrot (someday soon)
>
> and so on.  in fact, it was the need for a home for php-related docs and
> whatnot that prompted this move in the first place ;)

yay, php docs at perl.apache.org :)

>>>And maybe moving testing.pod there would be great too.
>>>s/testing.pod/tutorial.pod/?
>

> yes, specifically under /Apache-Test/perl was what I was going to suggest.

+1

>>and probably a rewrite rule should be added too for those who link
>>directly to that URL.
>>
>>http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html#Extending_Configuration_Setup
>

> good idea.  from an .htaccess file or do we do that in the core httpd.conf?

please refer to the comment at the top of modperl-docs/httpd.conf

>>of course we could avoid all that, by keeping the tutorial where it is,
>>and just add a link from config.cfg to it.
>

> sure.  but what I'm hoping to accomplish is a more coherent set of
> documentation for Apache-Test that transcends what we've done (and
> documented well) over in mod_perl-land.  so shuffling things about would
> help that I think.  you?

I'm all for it!

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>> if you don't find any with grep, then there are none. So we should add
>> one then :)

:)

yes, now that it's officially ours we should do more to publicise it.

>>> additionally, we should probably update httpd.apache.org/test and
>>> create a
>>> home for Apache-Test under perl.apache.org.
>>

>> I see that you added test/ but it's probably not the most intuitive
>> naming. I think perl.apache.org/Apache-Test/ is more sensible.

that's cool.

additionally I think we should have subdirectories for each of the supported
languages

/Apache-Test/perl
/Apache-Test/php
/Apache-Test/parrot (someday soon)

and so on.  in fact, it was the need for a home for php-related docs and
whatnot that prompted this move in the first place ;)

>> And maybe moving testing.pod there would be great too.
>> s/testing.pod/tutorial.pod/?

yes, specifically under /Apache-Test/perl was what I was going to suggest.

>> And of course links to it need to be adjusted too, to reflect the new
>> location. (and Apache/README and other docs, like .pm files)

yes.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>> if you don't find any with grep, then there are none. So we should add
>> one then :)

:)

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>> if you don't find any with grep, then there are none. So we should add
>> one then :)

:)

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:

> Also Geoff please don't forget to update the documentation. Both inside
> the module and at perl.apache.org docs. Thanks.

(both the svn info and the lists)

and now we no longer have the archives. So if you could contact
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com and ask them to add these two new lists and
update
http://perl.apache.org/maillist/test-dev.html
http://perl.apache.org/maillist/test-cvs.html
that would be awesome.

Thanks.

Re: Apache-Test subdirectory has moved

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>

>>>the Apache-Test/ subdirectory of the perl-framework has migrated to a new
>>>location:
>>>
>>>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/Apache-Test
>>>
>>>what this means for you is that you need to manually adjust your checkout
>>>
>>>  $ rm -rf Apache-Test/
>>>  $ svn update
>>

>>ugh, rm is not a good idea if you have modified files in it. should svn
>>switch somehow do the trick instead?
>

> it probably should but it doesn't.  just copy your modified files to
> someplace safe, do the update, then move then back.

:( I guess because it has an externals property

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.