Posted to builds@apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2011/04/21 08:21:12 UTC

Lucene Jenkins slave out of disk

Hi

The box running the Jenkins slave for Lucene is out of disk space
again. Please check.

/niklas

Re: Lucene Jenkins slave out of disk

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On Hudson there is still one very bad test, all others are cleaned up:
>
> [root@lucene /home/hudson/hudson-slave/workspace/Lucene-Solr-tests-only-trunk/checkout/lucene/build/test/4]# ls -lh
> total 1286544
> -rw-------  1 hudson  hudson   602M Apr 23 22:00 core.java.9439
> -rw-------  1 hudson  hudson   656M Apr 23 22:00 core.java.9440
> -rw-r--r--  1 hudson  hudson    10K Apr 23 22:00 hs_err_pid9439.log
> -rw-r--r--  1 hudson  hudson    11K Apr 23 22:00 hs_err_pid9440.log
> -rw-r--r--  1 hudson  hudson     0B Apr 23 22:00 quiet.ant
>
> This one should be cleaned up or we should disable coredumps... How to do this - for this test we need no coredumps, maybe we can add a parameter to the ProcessBuilder?

i think this can be configured with sysctl, hopefully its per-jail and
we can just set it... i'll take a look

Re: Lucene Jenkins slave out of disk

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> I am merging realtime up to trunk now...

thanks uwe!

simon

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On Hudson there is still one very bad test, all others are cleaned up:
>
> [root@lucene /home/hudson/hudson-slave/workspace/Lucene-Solr-tests-only-trunk/checkout/lucene/build/test/4]# ls -lh
> total 1286544
> -rw-------  1 hudson  hudson   602M Apr 23 22:00 core.java.9439
> -rw-------  1 hudson  hudson   656M Apr 23 22:00 core.java.9440
> -rw-r--r--  1 hudson  hudson    10K Apr 23 22:00 hs_err_pid9439.log
> -rw-r--r--  1 hudson  hudson    11K Apr 23 22:00 hs_err_pid9440.log
> -rw-r--r--  1 hudson  hudson     0B Apr 23 22:00 quiet.ant
>
> This one should be cleaned up or we should disable coredumps... How to do this - for this test we need no coredumps, maybe we can add a parameter to the ProcessBuilder?

we are not allowed to change the sysctl here... maybe i can change the
test to use a CWD of its tempdir, so its corefiles will get deleted...

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Robert,

On Hudson there is still one very bad test, all others are cleaned up:

[root@lucene /home/hudson/hudson-slave/workspace/Lucene-Solr-tests-only-trunk/checkout/lucene/build/test/4]# ls -lh
total 1286544
-rw-------  1 hudson  hudson   602M Apr 23 22:00 core.java.9439
-rw-------  1 hudson  hudson   656M Apr 23 22:00 core.java.9440
-rw-r--r--  1 hudson  hudson    10K Apr 23 22:00 hs_err_pid9439.log
-rw-r--r--  1 hudson  hudson    11K Apr 23 22:00 hs_err_pid9440.log
-rw-r--r--  1 hudson  hudson     0B Apr 23 22:00 quiet.ant

This one should be cleaned up or we should disable coredumps... How to do this - for this test we need no coredumps, maybe we can add a parameter to the ProcessBuilder?

That’s of course your JDK-crasher:

[...]
Stack: [0x00007ffffe4e9000,0x00007ffffe5e9000],  sp=0x00007ffffe5e8160,  free space=3fc0000000000000001k
Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code, C=native code)
V  [libjvm.so+0x71bc61]
j  sun.misc.Unsafe.putAddress(JJ)V+0
v  ~StubRoutines::call_stub
[...]

Uwe

-----
Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>> Hi,

>> > for getting an index dir? That would be nice.
>> >
>> > This only applies if we are getting an explicit index dir right?
>>
>> Yes!
>>

> Addition:
> I meant such code to be replaced:
>
> -        indexDir = new File(workDir, "testIndex");
> +        indexDir = _TestUtil.getTempDir("testIndex");

ok will do!

simon

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>> > any other branches (realtime? docvalues?) currently being tested by
>> > hudson should merge up as soon as we can
>>
>> Thanks robert, I will merge RT now and commit... DocValues build is disabled
>> currently I will make sure that I merge before reenabling it...
>
> Don't hurry, the FreeBSD machine hosting the Jail is down since about 18 hrs. Major problems as it seems - or they are updating harddisks? *g*

heh... tests already running.. so I will commit in a bit... maybe they
give us a stronger machine :D

simon

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Robert,

Thanks for pointing to that issue. Indeed the leftover test files in Lucene take approx. 3 GB per build. With our 9 builds that’s 30 GB - useless. If the tests clean up the thing successfully after running, we should be fine.

If you are not able to solve this in near feature I would add the following command at the end of our shell script that runs the builds:
	find $WORKSPACE/checkout/lucene/build/test/ -type d -depth 1 | xargs rm -rf
This would preserve test result files but delete all directories inside.

Alternatively maybe the test task should do this after running tests?

As noted before, running "ant clean" at the end of build process is not working as Jenkins need to collect test results.

Uwe

-----
Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
OK,

I was not aware that you took action, too. Because there is the message
about Jenkins shutdown, I was assuming that you are fixing the master.

About the Lucene slave, the problem we have is: Our tests need lots of disk
space for large indexes. Before the build, the workspace is complete cleared
(at least for the nightly builds) and for the half-hourly builds it is
svn-upped and then cleaned by ANT (ant clean). But at the end of the build
the build script does not call "ant clean" again, because otherwise we would
lost the test results. I am working on adding an additional task to our ant
build scripts that will only clean up the test data that can be called after
the build finished. This may clean up unneeded disk space after build so
later running builds can reuse the space.

I will talk to the other committers who know better where the temporary test
files lie.

Uwe

-----
Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.