Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "David Jarrell - @home" <dj...@home.com> on 2002/02/13 02:44:06 UTC

Re: Virtual hosts problem (to Joshua, Raquel, and RuneImp)

Joshua (and Raquel):
I use register.com for my registrant; they have a "domain alias" section
where you can configure various aliases for the domain name. I believe by
default www. and ftp. both resolve to the basic hostname (and I have no
problems with either of the two).

As I mentioned in the previous email, I configured bishop.troop85.org to
point to bishop.troop85.org. That sounds odd to me and I wonder if that is a
problem. Both of you mentioned DNS configuration; since www.troop85.org
works I assumed that the DNS works fine and anything else would be left up
to the "domain aliases" and my server. Is this incorrect?

I am starting to believe that I need to do something else on my server here.
What should my /etc/hosts file look like for such a configuration?

------------------

To RuneImp,
How do I see what my CNAME entries are? Where do I look? Are you talking
about my local setup on my server? Keep in mind that I don't do my own DNS.
This is just a small FreeBSD box serving through my cable modem.

Thanks to all of you for the extremely fast replies,
David Jarrell
djarrell2@home.com
ICQ 775579
AIM JarrellD

Posted by RuneImp <ru...@imptech.net>.
Put your VirtualHost directives as I wrote earlier and
you should be set as soon as the DNS propagates...  :)

-=- RuneImp
ImpTech - Web Design, Hosting & Computer Tech
http://imptech.net
rune@imptech.net

Posted by Matthew Daubenspeck <ma...@oddprocess.org>.
At 08:44 PM 2/12/2002, you wrote:
>Joshua (and Raquel):
>I use register.com for my registrant; they have a "domain alias" section
>where you can configure various aliases for the domain name. I believe by
>default www. and ftp. both resolve to the basic hostname (and I have no
>problems with either of the two).
>
>As I mentioned in the previous email, I configured bishop.troop85.org to
>point to bishop.troop85.org. That sounds odd to me and I wonder if that is a
>problem. Both of you mentioned DNS configuration; since www.troop85.org
>works I assumed that the DNS works fine and anything else would be left up
>to the "domain aliases" and my server. Is this incorrect?
>
>I am starting to believe that I need to do something else on my server here.
>What should my /etc/hosts file look like for such a configuration?

Where does bishop.troop85.org point to? Itself? Do you control the aliases
from your server, or does register.com? You either have to forward all
hostnames (*.troop85.org) to your server IP, or individually forward names
(whatever1.troop85.org, whatever2.troop85.org, etc etc.) to the same IP.