Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Mik <mi...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/30 13:47:05 UTC

XML Log4j configuration

Hi all.

It it possible to configure Geronimo server so that it will utilize log4j
XML configuration instead of the default server-log4j.properties?

I would really like to use the level filter option in XML configuration, but
still would like to have logging configured on server level...

Thanks.

Re: XML Log4j configuration

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mik, thanks a lot for contributing back to the community.

I've put the How-to information in G2.2 document at

https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/configuring-application-specific-logging-with-log4j.html

<https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/configuring-application-specific-logging-with-log4j.html>
Jeff

Re: XML Log4j configuration

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: XML Log4j configuration

Posted by Mik <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevan

Thanks for your reply. Looking through the code in Log4jService.java made
the difference..

// Allow users to override the configurationFile which is hardcoded
// in config.ser and cannot be updated by config.xml, as the
// AttrbiuteManager comes up after this GBean
String cfgFile = System
        .getProperty(LOG4JSERVICE_CONFIG_PROPERTY);
if ((cfgFile != null) && (!cfgFile.equals(""))) {
    this .configurationFile = cfgFile;
}

So the config file value can be overridden at server startup by using
org.apache.geronimo.log4jservice.configuration system property, and it also
seems to accept the xml format :-)

Thanks once again.

Regards Mik

Re: XML Log4j configuration

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 30, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Mik wrote:

> Thanks - already been there.
>
> Does not solve my problem :-(
>
> Basically what I'm after is to configure server logging to use log4j.xml
> instead of log4j.properties (server-log4j.properties)
>
> I did already try to define a file called log4j.xml & server-log4j.xml, both
> without any luck.

Hi Mik,
The Logger GBean configures the location of the log4j configuration file for the Geronimo server. I don't know that anyone has ever tried it, but there is some code which seems to accommodate a .xml file. So, if you're willing to test it out, try the following...

Edit var/config/config.xml, locate the j2ee-system <module> and replace with something like the following (I'm assuming 2.2, adjust your version numbers appropriately):

    <module name="org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/2.2/car">
      <gbean name="Logger">
        <attribute name="configFileName">var/log/server-log4j.xml</attribute>
      </gbean>
    </module>

If that doesn't work, you can look at the following to see what might be going wrong:

geronimo/server/branches/2.2/framework/modules/geronimo-system/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/system/logging/log4j/Log4jService.java
geronimo/server/branches/2.2/framework/modules/geronimo-system/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/system/logging/log4j/URLConfigurator.java
geronimo/server/branches/2.2/framework/configs/j2ee-system/src/main/plan/plan.xml

--kevan

Re: XML Log4j configuration

Re: XML Log4j configuration

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.