Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk> on 2002/12/09 15:49:40 UTC

Simple Database example

Hi folks,

I'm trying to figure out whether I should use Cocoon for a small office
based application. It doesn't need to be web based, but I think it may
benefit from it.

My essential problem is that I want to figure out how to do lots of
database web pages easily and with the minimum of me hand coding stuff.

In general I want to list records, select one for editing, offer it for
editing, validate and save it... and this gets tedious for different tables.

With Apache Turbine I am familiar with Torque to handle the generation of a
lot of database<->object code, and velocity to handle screen templates, and
Intake to help with form validation, but I am less familiar about how to do
the same sort of thing in Cocoon.

I suppose I could use Torque (or OJB) to represent records as beans, and
then use XMLForms to write to those beans, and then use the sitemap as part
of the controller....
But I haven't yet seen an example of that in action. I'm nervous of going
down a route which I think is obvious, but no one else has tried.

Is there a standard application which does all this?

Cheers

Alex McLintock

Openweb Analysts Ltd, London.
Software For Complex Websites http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Open Source Software Companies please register here
http://www.OWAL.co.uk/oss_support/

Re: Simple Database example

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Alex McLintock wrote:
 >. . .
> In general I want to list records, select one for editing, offer it for
> editing, validate and save it... and this gets tedious for different
> tables.
 >. . .

> Is there a standard application which does all this?

There are small examples but I don't think there is a full-size "best
practice" application example yet. Problem is, software darwinism is
still at work in selecting the best way of doing CRUD applications with
Cocoon, currently several alternatives are being explored.

I think Torsten Curdt's GetTogether presentation [1] gives a good
overview of what's here today. Things should get better soon though...

Also, Marc Portier's excellent presentation [2] of their XReporter tool
at the same event shows an interesting structure using Cocoon as the
frontend of a REST-like application backend.

Hope this helps!

--
  Bertrand Delacretaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

  buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, Cocoon, FOP, mentoring/teaching/coding.
  blogspace http://www.codeconsult.ch/bertrand

[1]
http://outerthought.net/gettogether/12%20-%20presentation%20-%20torsten.pdf

[2]