Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Nigel Jones <ni...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/25 15:31:39 UTC

Ranger & maven artifacts : Docker image, admin server runtime

I need to use Apache Ranger to help demo another open source project (ODPi Egeria).

So far I have been building my own docker image by extracting the code from git within the image, compiling, configuring, & running security admin alongside mariadb. This image is then deployed within a helm chart into a kubernetes cluster to allow us to demo some integration.

I needed to add another component (usersync to ldap) to an image I mostly setup a year and a half ago, so I considered another approach. Rather than incur a long build time when I'm generating the docker image, I had an idea... could I make use of official, open, existing built components?

I tried to download the right maven artifacts for the server (choosing usersync, ldapconfigcheck & security-admin-web), thinking I could use those. However I noticed various things I needed - for example security-admin/contrib/solr_for_audit_setup wasn't in the security-admin-web artifact, but is needed to configure it. I'm not sure it's in any maven artifact?

I'm suspecting I need to abandon this avenue. Before I do, has anyone tried this? Do you think it would work? I think it's a nice idea, but it is dependent on the maven artifacts having been setup to support this approach (ie to include utility scripts etc not just the core jars)

I don't need to keep rebuilding the ranger image, so it's not a big deal, just testing the water :-) I can revert to just building from source.

Additionally, has anyone else worked through reuseable docker images for ranger ? As I mentioned I do have something that works, but I admit it's rather hack-y & somewhat tuned to my specific needs ...  See https://github.com/odpi/egeria/blob/master/open-metadata-resources/open-metadata-deployment/docker/ranger/Dockerfile

Many thanks
nigel.